Getting Data In

Why "match" condition is not working?

punithsj96
Explorer

I want to match one field value with other field values. If Value in btc field is present in NEB_Sales_Oppy_Business_Type I should get True otherwise False. I tried with the following query:

| eval Is_businees_type_matching=if(match(NEB_Sales_Oppy_Business_Type, btc), "TRUE", "FALSE")

Why I am getting False for 3 rows even the value is available in both fields.

splunk_doubt.PNG

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The problems is that the match string is a regex, so if btc would need to be

New Equipment \(NEB\)

for the match to work. See this example

| makeresults
| fields - _time
| eval NEB_Sales_Oppy_Business_Type="New Equipment (NEB)|Modernization (FRB)|Modernization (TRB)", btc="New Equipment (NEB)", btc1="New Equipment \(NEB\)"
| eval Is_businees_type_matching=if(match(NEB_Sales_Oppy_Business_Type, btc), "TRUE", "FALSE")
| eval Is_businees_type_matching1=if(match(NEB_Sales_Oppy_Business_Type, btc1), "TRUE", "FALSE")

View solution in original post

punithsj96
Explorer

@bowesmana, thanks for your response its working now as per my requirement.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try replacing the open and close brackets in the btc field

| eval Is_business_type_matching=if(match(NEB_Sales_Oppy_Business_Type, replace(replace(btc,"\)","\)"),"\(","\(")), "TRUE", "FALSE")

punithsj96
Explorer

Hi @ITWhisperer , yes its also working thanks for the support and response.

0 Karma

SanjayReddy
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @punithsj96

can you swap the fields in match and try it?

| eval Is_businees_type_matching=if(match(btc,NEB_Sales_Oppy_Business_Type), "TRUE", "FALSE")

0 Karma

punithsj96
Explorer

Hi @SanjayReddy

Thanks for your response, I tried still its not working.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The problems is that the match string is a regex, so if btc would need to be

New Equipment \(NEB\)

for the match to work. See this example

| makeresults
| fields - _time
| eval NEB_Sales_Oppy_Business_Type="New Equipment (NEB)|Modernization (FRB)|Modernization (TRB)", btc="New Equipment (NEB)", btc1="New Equipment \(NEB\)"
| eval Is_businees_type_matching1=if(match(NEB_Sales_Oppy_Business_Type, btc1), "TRUE", "FALSE")

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...