Getting Data In

Why am I seeing host multiple times in search

dmitchell_ingre

Hello Splunkers,

I'm trying to validate that engineers have successfully deployed forwarders on all required systems. All Sites have their own index. So I'm running the following search to check:

index=siteA | stats count by host

This returns the hosts, but for my Linux machines I see "machineA" followed by "machineA.siteA.local."

Does anyone have any insight as to what might be the problem? Per my instructions, the engineers have uninstalled old forwarders before installing a new version for our Splunk rebuild.

Thanks so much!

0 Karma

davpx
Communicator

Some inputs can return the shortname and some return the FQDN. Check to ensure your forwarder's inputs.conf hostname under [default] matches the name in server.conf and that any other inputs do not specify a host explicitly.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...