Getting Data In

Why am I not seeing the logs in splunk GUI after configuring it in deployment servers?

erwinpastor
Explorer

I have configured the logs in the inputs.conf and added the servers in the serverclass.conf. Preliminary testing done to check if the client servers can connect to the splunk deployment server and communication port - all good.

output.conf looks like the following:

defaultGroup = zone1
disabled = false
[tcpout:zone1]
server = deploymentserver:9996,heavyforwarederserver:9996

[tcpout-server://deploymentserver:9996]
[tcpout-server://heavyforwarder:9996]

inputs.log looks like the following:

[monitor://D:\Program Files (x86)...\vCAC...\Logs*]
index = index_name
sourcetype = sourcetype_name

Additional info: servers have an existing WinEventlog and Perfmon setup in splunk.

For some reason, the changes are not being picked up the splunk GUI. Should there be any other config that needs to be done?

0 Karma

hagjos43
Contributor

For one if the following syntax is what you actually have in your inputs.conf it is incorrect.
You have: [monitor://D:Program Files (x86)...vCAC...Logs*]
You should have: [monitor://D:\Program Files (x86)....vCAC....Logs.....*]

you were missing the "\" after the "D:"

0 Karma

erwinpastor
Explorer

Sorry, might have been omitted during the paste. But the actual syntaxt has "\" after the "D:". So it is [monitor://D:\Program Files (x86)\...\vCAC\...\Logs\*]

0 Karma

hagjos43
Contributor

I've never tried to monitor a path with white spaces in the name. For testing purposes point it to a path with no spaces and see if you have any issues.

0 Karma

erwinpastor
Explorer

So the syntax should be like this [monitor://D:\Program*\...\vCAC\...\Logs\*] ? Will an asterisk (*) followed by ellipses (...) work in inputs.conf? Have you tried it before to monitor a path?

0 Karma

erwinpastor
Explorer

just tried doing without the spaces by editing the monitor to use Program* but unfortunately it still didn't work.
Any idea how Program Files or Program Files (x86) can be monitored in splunk?

0 Karma

hagjos43
Contributor

The inputs.conf file you are talking about above, is that the $splunk\etc\system\local\inputs.conf or $splunk\etc\apps\deployment....\inputs.conf?

0 Karma

erwinpastor
Explorer

the one in $splunk\etc\deployment....\inputs.conf

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...