Getting Data In

Why am I getting the error "disabled" when I launch the deployment client page after a possibly successful deployment on Splunk 7.0?

ralam
Loves-to-Learn

Hi All,

I just set up a deployment server, created server class and added a couple of deployment-apps and a forwarder to it. I believe it got deployed successfully as I can see the deployed configuration on the forwarder. However when I launch Deployment Client page it says DISABLED.

Also If I see the splunkd.log I can see the error - DC:DeploymentClient - target-broker clause is missing.

Would you be able to know where I'm wrong, Please?

alt text

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Are you looking at the "deployment client settings" page on the server which is also the "deployment server"?

You would not normally expect a DS to be a DC, so its quite normal to have the first screenshot you posted.

On the basis of your second screenshot, I would say everything looks good!

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma

ralam
Loves-to-Learn

thanks 🙂

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Cool. Glad it helped!

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma

wrangler2x
Motivator

One thing to check is splunkd.log on the deployment server ($SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log).

Search for the IP address of the forwarder. If all is well, you should see something like:

02-15-2018 08:52:10.584 -0800 INFO ClientSessionsManager:Listener_AppEvents - Received count=2 AppEvents from DC ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.14 name=01560258-7D14-4041-B938-47C85E919B75

If anything slows up with warnings or errors then there is a problem.

When you are looking at the Settings -> Forwarder Management > Clients page on the DS, you should see the forwarder host and under the column "Deployed Apps" the number of Deployment Apps you associated with the ServerClass you put the forwarder host into.

To quickly see if you are getting logs from that host, try this search on the search head:

| metadata type=hosts index=*
| search host=$HOSTNAME$
| stats count by host totalCount firstTime recentTime
| fieldformat Count=tostring(Count, "commas")
| convert timeformat="%m/%d/%Y %T" ctime(recentTime) ctime(firstTime)
| rename totalCount as Count recentTime as "Last Update" firstTime as "Earliest Update"
| fields - count

Where $HOSTNAME$ is the FQDN of the forwarder host.

0 Karma

ralam
Loves-to-Learn

Hey Martin,

The screenshot and the log message is on the deployment server.

At "Settings -> Forwarder Management" I can see one "phoned" client.

alt text

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is that screenshot and log message on the forwarder or on the deployment server?

If you're on the deployment server, go to Settings -> Forwarder Management.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...