Getting Data In

Why am I getting "Splunk Enterprise setup wizard ended prematurely..." trying to upgrade to Splunk 6.2 on Windows 7 64 bit?

Afef
Communicator

I'm trying to upgrade splunk to the version 6.2 on windows 7 64 bits, it performed a "rollback action" during which I got the message : " splunk Enterprise setup wizard ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified... "
when i write splunk status on CLI i got the message : "splunkd : unable to obtain status".
Any help please ?? Thanks

1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk's IRC channel on EFnet.

0 Karma

rovechkin
Explorer

what is #splunk?

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

From this:

VERSION=6.1.4
BUILD=233537
PRODUCT=splunk
PLATFORM=Windows-AMD64

To this:

VERSION=6.2.0
BUILD=237341
PRODUCT=splunk
PLATFORM=Windows-AMD64

#splunk if you need more info, probably easier...

0 Karma

rovechkin
Explorer

what build are you upgrading from?

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Wim,

I've emailed you a load of log files that might be relevant to the failed upgrade after testing that on my home PC... no MSIxxxxxx.log file to be found anywhere though.

0 Karma

wcolgate_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Can anyone experiencing this issue supply the MSIxxxxxx.log file? This is normally found in %temp%. In addition there will be a splunk.log there as well (sometime windows puts it in the directory right above %temp%).

wpreston
Motivator

I've looked and unfortunately I don't see that file anywhere. The most recent MSI file I have is from when I installed Splunk 6.1.4.

0 Karma

wpreston
Motivator

I should add that my installation is on Windows Server 2008 R2.

0 Karma

wpreston
Motivator

I got the same message. I tried to start Splunk using the CLI afterwards, but Splunkweb and Splunkd were no longer installed as services.

I tried the upgrade again and it installed this time, however the Splunk processes now use the local system account instead of the domain account I've been using in previous versions. There were no options presented during the upgrade, the installer just changed it.

0 Karma

tom_frotscher
Builder

Yeah, my services were also removed. Maybe some problem with the new services, as far as i know the splunkd and splunkweb services are combined after the upgrade. I could also find a "splunk.log" in the temp directory of windows that should log the installation progress. It said the installation failed because of some account rights that can not be transfered. But i didn't understand it and can't remember completely. Sadly i can't post it now, because i am at my home computer now.

0 Karma

tom_frotscher
Builder

Hi!

Nice to hear i am not alone. I run in exactly the same problem!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...