Getting Data In

Why am I getting a "File in use" error when trying to upgrade our forwarder to version 6.6.6?

meenuvn
Explorer

I'm trying to upgrade our forwarder version to splunkforwarder-6.6.6-ff5e72edc7c4-x64-release.msi, but it is failing with a "File in use " error.

This is the command i used:

msiexec.exe /i splunkforwarder-6.6.6-ff5e72edc7c4-x64-release.msi /log C:\Windows\Install\Install_SplunkForwarder_6.6.6_MSI.log /quiet /norestart LAUNCHSPLUNK=0 AGREETOLICENSE=Yes

Looks like it fails because the Splunk service is running. But, the MSI usually takes care of it.

Any idea whats going on?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried stopping the forwarder before upgrading?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

meenuvn
Explorer

After manually stopping the service, msi installs correctly. After the installation , service should be manually started. But i remember, msi taking care of this previously. Did this change?

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

May be it is bug because recently I upgraded from 6.4.3 to 7.0.4 with command line and SplunkForwarder process was running and MSI took care of it (No need to manully stop - start before and after upgrade)

From which version you are upgrading Forwarder to 6.6.6 ?

0 Karma

meenuvn
Explorer

I'm upgrading from 6.5.2

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have installed 6.5.2 on one of my lab Windows server and started SplunkForwarder service and then upgraded to 6.6.6 and it upgraded successfully.

EDIT: Have you tried with "Run As Administrator" for command prompt or powershell and then run command which you have provided?

meenuvn
Explorer

@harsmarvania57 , Thanks for testing that for me. So may be something to do with the servers that I'm testing? Let me try few other servers.
Also I tried Run as Administrator option as well.

0 Karma

meenuvn
Explorer

@harsmarvania57, I'm still testing it and thinks its an issue with the wrapper script that I use. Wondering if the service started automatically after the upgrade, when you tried.

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

While upgrading forwarder, I have used LAUNCHSPLUNK=0 so SplunkForwarder service didn't started automatically.

meenuvn
Explorer

yes, I totally overlooked it. Thank you so much for your help on this!

0 Karma

meenuvn
Explorer

@harsmarvania57, i'm good with the upgrade and wanted to mark this as answered.Thanks again!

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can convert your comment to answer and accept your answer because you found issue that it was problem in your script. If any of my comment helped you then you can upvote those comment(s).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...