Getting Data In

Where are TCP and UDP inputs indexed?

lguinn2
Legend

When I configure network inputs (TCP or UDP), I provide the port number and sourcetype, but there is nowhere to specify the index. Where are these inputs indexed? Can I change the index that is used for network inputs?

2 Solutions

V_at_Splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Unless otherwise specified, all data goes into the default index.

If adding network input through CLI, you can specify index with the -index option. (Issue splunk help add for syntax help.)

If adding network input through Manager » Data inputs » TCP » Add New or Manager » Data inputs » UDP » Add New, you should see an Index dropdown list. Is it there? What version are you using, please?

View solution in original post

Gaurav
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In 4.0.x, you are indeed required to manually edit inputs.conf to specify an index for UDP/TCP inputs.

In 4.1, we'll be exposing index, host, and source configuration for all input types within Splunk Manager. In addition you'll be able to blacklist/whitelist from the UI for monitor inputs.

View solution in original post

balbano
Contributor

Is there someway to setup listening to one port and have it direct logs to a specific index depending on whitelist/blacklist?

What I mean is can you setup logs to go to multiple indexes through 1 listening port (e.g. TCP 514).

Brian

0 Karma

Gaurav
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In 4.0.x, you are indeed required to manually edit inputs.conf to specify an index for UDP/TCP inputs.

In 4.1, we'll be exposing index, host, and source configuration for all input types within Splunk Manager. In addition you'll be able to blacklist/whitelist from the UI for monitor inputs.

V_at_Splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Unless otherwise specified, all data goes into the default index.

If adding network input through CLI, you can specify index with the -index option. (Issue splunk help add for syntax help.)

If adding network input through Manager » Data inputs » TCP » Add New or Manager » Data inputs » UDP » Add New, you should see an Index dropdown list. Is it there? What version are you using, please?

hulahoop
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Since that is the sad case, then you must edit inputs.conf where the network input is defined and add the "index=foo" parameter to the input stanza.

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

version 4.0.9, build 74233

But there is no Index dropdown list in the web UI for either TCP or UDP inputs

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...