Getting Data In

W2K Universal Forwarder

emccaslin
Path Finder

I have a Windows 2000 box that we would like to install a universal forwarder on to push to our Splunk server that is already running with other forwarders configured to it.

The problem is that I cannot find a universal forwarder that is compatible with Windows 2000. I have installed a version of Splunk on it, but I do not want it to index the data or interfere with the license of the other server.

Optimal solution is to be directed to a universal forwarder that is compatible with Windows 2000.

I see Splunk Universal Forwarder on Win2000? but I was hoping that since 2011 we have a better solution.

1 Solution

hall_ronald
Explorer

This question was better directed toward Customer Support (CS) and The Community should have suggested as much. Given that Win2000 OS is not supported, CS is in a better position to make a 'best fit' recommendation.

"Splunk provides previous releases for customers that need access to a specific version. These versions are fully supported for customer's with a current enterprise license and support agreement." -- http://www.splunk.com/page/previous_releases

Discussion:

There is a persistent characteristic in the IT industry, that many companies continue to use 'unsupported' hardware and software long after the product owner, some by choice and some through insolvency, discontinues meaningful support. Industry can be found using systems that were provisioned as far back as the mid-80's. There is also the secondary marketplace for core infrastructure and specialized technologies where 'obsolete' is all that is available for entry-level entities and those operating on a tight margin. The CompTIA A+ Certification reflects the persistence of 'obsolete' technology.

If Splunk indeed refuses to, "...write or support software for obsolete operating systems..." then they risk neglecting a significant, though not necessarily majority portion of the 'big data' market place.

View solution in original post

hall_ronald
Explorer

This question was better directed toward Customer Support (CS) and The Community should have suggested as much. Given that Win2000 OS is not supported, CS is in a better position to make a 'best fit' recommendation.

"Splunk provides previous releases for customers that need access to a specific version. These versions are fully supported for customer's with a current enterprise license and support agreement." -- http://www.splunk.com/page/previous_releases

Discussion:

There is a persistent characteristic in the IT industry, that many companies continue to use 'unsupported' hardware and software long after the product owner, some by choice and some through insolvency, discontinues meaningful support. Industry can be found using systems that were provisioned as far back as the mid-80's. There is also the secondary marketplace for core infrastructure and specialized technologies where 'obsolete' is all that is available for entry-level entities and those operating on a tight margin. The CompTIA A+ Certification reflects the persistence of 'obsolete' technology.

If Splunk indeed refuses to, "...write or support software for obsolete operating systems..." then they risk neglecting a significant, though not necessarily majority portion of the 'big data' market place.

lguinn2
Legend

No - Microsoft has not supported Win2000 Server since July 2010. Splunk does not write or support software for obsolete operating systems...

hall_ronald
Explorer

I disagree ...

Support for Win2000 may not be available, but there are other 'previous releases'that may be a better fit for 'obsolete' hosts.

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk only goes back as far as Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP. Unfortunately, there isn't anything supported on Windows that goes back to w2k. Please see the documentation on this topic for supported platforms.

Chubbybunny
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

W2K in 2013

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...