Getting Data In

Using multiple OR operators

shiftey
Path Finder

Hi guys

Im doing a correlation search where Im looking for hostnames and filtering for events I dont want. eg.

sourcetype=dhcplogs where dest!=Prefix1* OR dest!=Prefix2* OR dest!=Prefix3* OR dest!=Prefix4* .....

Is there a more efficient way of grouping multiple OR operators together? Would this help with search processing, or just tidier to read.

Cheers

Tags (2)

lguinn2
Legend

Wish Granted!!! In Splunk 6.6 -

Search command supports IN operator

sourcetype=xyz status IN (100, 102, 103)

Eval and where commands support in function

| where in(status,"222","333","444","555")

DalJeanis
Legend

This test will ALWAYS be true...

dest!=Prefix1* OR dest!=Prefix2* 

...because...
Prefix1PlusSomeStuff is not equal to Prefix2*, so it meets the second criteria.

Prefix2PlusSomeStuff is not equal to Prefix1*, so it meets the first criteria.

...so, that should be coded in either of the following ways...

NOT ( dest=Prefix1* OR dest=Prefix2*)

...or...

(dest!=Prefix1* AND dest!=Prefix2*)
0 Karma

stephanefotso
Motivator

Hello!
No, there is not another way to do it. And you don't have to put the where clause. just type your search like this:

sourcetype=dhcplogs  (dest!=Prefix1* OR dest!=Prefix2* OR dest!=Prefix3* OR dest!=Prefix4)

Thanks

SGF
0 Karma

shiftey
Path Finder

Ive also tried

replace prefix1* with prefix1 in dest| replace prefix2* with prefix* in dest | where dest!=prefix1 OR dest!=prefix2

however that has 0 results. Im thinking Splunk is not treating prefix1* as a wildcard but a string?

Any more advice is most welcome.

Cheers

0 Karma

stephanefotso
Motivator

No. There was an error in my query. That is what to write.

replace prefix1* with prefix1 in dest| replace prefix2* with prefix2 in dest | where dest!=prefix1 OR dest!=prefix2

And, If prefix1* is a string in your events, means, you are not trying to match any caracter, just write

...| where dest!="prefix1*" OR dest!="prefix2*"

Thanks

SGF
0 Karma

shiftey
Path Finder

Thanks stephanefotso,

I'm using this in a new correlation search using guided mode. Im at the filter stage of the search creation wizard and have put:

dest!=Prefix1* OR dest!=Prefix2*

yet there is an error below that says
" ! Search does not parse"

I've used the network sessions datamodel and specified the search time.

How would I know what "Application Context" to use for each correlation search?

Thanks for your help

0 Karma

shiftey
Path Finder

I also specified DHCP as part of the network session data model..

0 Karma

stephanefotso
Motivator

If you are at the filter stage, i thing, you must use the where clause. But the problem is that, the star() can not works with the where clause. Means `|where dest!=Prefix1 `is an error.

SGF
0 Karma

stephanefotso
Motivator

try:

...|replace Prefix1* with Prefix1 in dest|replace Prefix2* with Prefix2 in dest|where dest!=Prefix1 OR dest!=Prefix2
SGF
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...