Getting Data In

Using HEC vs Heavy Forwarder

anurbhav
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Is there a clear list of pros and cons of using HEC vs Heavy forwarders

Also, are there any best practices or preferences of using these 2 options in a given setting

Labels (3)
0 Karma

arjunpkishore5
Motivator

Do you mean HEC vs File monitoring?

HEC can live on your Heavy Forwarder. 

With the assumption that you are looking for file monitoring vs HEC, you are looking at pull vs push processes, file monitor keeps monitoring a directory and pulls data when new files or updates to existing files are made. On the other hand, HEC listens on a port and you push data to it. Using one vs the other entirely depends on your use case. 

Unfortunately, without more context on what your end goal is, this is all the info I can provide.

0 Karma

anurbhav
Loves-to-Learn Lots

My end goal is to ingest AWS cloud watch logs to SPLUNK

0 Karma

Roy_9
Motivator

@anurbhav If you are going with the route of Kinesis-Cloudwatch-HEC-Splunk then i will prefer HEC.

0 Karma

anurbhav
Loves-to-Learn Lots

If i need to ingest my AWS cloudwatch logs to splunk what are the pros and cons of HF vs HEC. What design considerations will it impacts

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are a lot of things to consider when choosing HF or HEC.  There is no documentation on the subject that I know of.  It really comes down to what you need to do.

HFs are good for monitoring files or directories and transforming data.

HEC is good for receiving data directly from an application.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...