Getting Data In

Use regex to pull out a phrase with a specific word?

jhilton90
Path Finder

Right now I'm using regex to pull data with the phrase "MFA challenge succeeded" using the following regex:

| rex "(?<MFA>[a-z,A-Z,\s,\bcode\b]+)account\s+(?<account>\w+)\s+with\s+email\s+(?<email>[^ ]+).\s+\w+\s+\w+\s+\w+\s+\w+\s+(?<keycloak_id>[a-z,0-9,-]+)"

from the following field:

message: MFA challenge succeeded for account aaaaaaa. Email is example@example.com. Keycloak session id is 11111111-1111-1111-1111-1111111111111 

However in the message field the MFA challenge succeeded will often be different, such as: 

MFA challenge issued
MFA code issued
MFA challenge failed.

I need a way to use regex to pull out messages where it says MFA challenge issued, MFA code issued, MFA challenge failed and then display them in a table 

Labels (3)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The regex is looking for the phrase " with email ", but that text is not in the example event.  Can you make sure the provided examples are correct, please?

Entries in a regex character class are not separated by commas.  Use ([a-zA-Z\s]|\bcode\b) in place of [a-z,A-Z,\s,\bcode\b] and [a-z0-9-] in place of [a-z,0-9,-].

This rex command works with the provided text.

| rex "(?<MFA>MFA (challenge succeeded|challenge issued|challenge failed|code issued)) for account (?<account>\w+)\. Email is (?<email>\S+)\. Keycloak session id is (?<keycloak>\S+)"
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

jhilton90
Path Finder

Thanks Rich, I've used the following code:

index=keycloak "MFA"
| rex "(?<MFA>MFA (challenge succeeded|challenge issued|challenge failed|code issued)) for account (?<account>\w+)\. Email is (?<email>\S+)\. Keycloak session id is (?<keycloak>\S+)"
| where isnotnull (account)
| table account, email, keycloak_id, MFA, _time

However, in the MFA column in the table it's only printing "MFA challenge issued"

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Where there other events during the selected time window?  Can you please share them so I can verify the regex?

---
0 Karma

jhilton90
Path Finder

Yes there were other events as well such as:

message: MFA code issued for account bbbbbbbb with email example@example.com using sms. Keycloak session id is dddddddd-4444-5555-6666-ggggggggggggg

The events that say MFA code issued are going to be displayed in one table, then the events that say MFA challenge issued will be displayed in another table etc

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I read the OP was wanting to put all MFAs in a single table rather than in separate tables.  To put them into separate tables requires separate searches using a regex specific to the desired MFA.

---
0 Karma

jhilton90
Path Finder

Sorry I should have been clearer. The regex used to extract MFA challenge issued, MFA code issued, MFA successful, MFA failed will all go into their own separate tables

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks for clarifying.  Separate tables call for separate searches and each search would have a rex command that matched only one of the MFA values.

---
0 Karma

jhilton90
Path Finder

I've tried using 

| rex "(?<MFA>MFA (code issued)) for account (?<account>\w+)\. Email is (?<email>\S+)\. Keycloak session id is (?<keycloak>\S+)"

But that doesn't seem to want to work, at least when I test it on regex101 it doesn't like it

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Regex doesn't like it because it doesn't match the event.  Despite similarities around "MFA" the messages are not the same.

message: MFA challenge succeeded for account aaaaaaa. Email is example@example.com. Keycloak session id is 11111111-1111-1111-1111-1111111111111

has different noise words between the fields than does 

message: MFA code issued for account bbbbbbbb with email example@example.com using sms. Keycloak session id is dddddddd-4444-5555-6666-ggggggggggggg

The regex needs to match the event from which you are extracting fields.  Try this for "MFA code issued" events:

| rex "(?<MFA>MFA code issued) for account (?<account>\w+) with email (?<email>\S+) using sms\. Keycloak session id is (?<keycloak>\S+)"

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...