Getting Data In

Upload multiple pre-existing IIS files

cprundeanu
Engager

Hello, I have historical IIS log files on my PC's "D" drive that I would like to input into Splunk. Per the documentation:

Use the batch input type in inputs.conf to load files once and destructively. By default, Splunk's batch processor is located in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/spool/splunk. If you move a file into this directory, Splunk indexes it and then deletes it.

Does "loading files destructively" mean that the files will be deleted from my computer after they are uploaded?

Thank you,

Tags (1)
1 Solution

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, that is exactly what would occur. That is why it says that Splunk will load the file and then delete it. So, you should probably copy the files from their original location into $SPLUNK_HOME/var/spool/splunk/, then you won't have any problems.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, that is exactly what would occur. That is why it says that Splunk will load the file and then delete it. So, you should probably copy the files from their original location into $SPLUNK_HOME/var/spool/splunk/, then you won't have any problems.

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes. If you copy a file into the directory, it will be indexed, then deleted. You can copy it instead and the original won't be deleted.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...