Getting Data In

Universal Forwarder resending event log data

splunkjas1
Path Finder

If the IP address for a host changes or if it gets a new GUID, would the forwarder resend the entire Windows event log?

0 Karma
1 Solution

nickhills
Ultra Champion

It depends.
If you uninstalled the old forwarder and then reinstalled the new one, it’s quite possible that it will re-read and send all the logs.

If you upgraded the forwarder this should not occurr, even if the ip or guild changes.

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

It depends.
If you uninstalled the old forwarder and then reinstalled the new one, it’s quite possible that it will re-read and send all the logs.

If you upgraded the forwarder this should not occurr, even if the ip or guild changes.

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

I noted “possible” because depending on your config, it may elect to only send evens which are older than x days, or in the case of windows events, only while the forwarder is running. Neither of these are default config, and have drawbacks.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Is your forwarder resending event logs again? Has any specific activity was performed on your UF like version upgrade?

0 Karma

splunkjas1
Path Finder

The forwarders are resending event logs. We upgraded them from 6.4.4 to 6.4.9. Would the upgrade cause logs to be resent?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

It should'nt. How did you do the upgrade (procedure)? Was it it inline with what this Splunk documentation suggests?
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Forwarder/7.0.1/Forwarder/UpgradetheWindowsuniversalforwarder#...

0 Karma

splunkjas1
Path Finder

I asked the folks who performed the upgrade and they told me they do uninstall the 6.4.4 version before installing 6.4.9. So that's probably what caused the logs to be resent, would you agree?

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Yes. In that case I would say it’s expected behaviour

0 Karma

splunkjas1
Path Finder

Okay, thank you.

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

I converted my comment to an answer, so you can accept it if it helped

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...