Getting Data In

Universal Forwarder Installation Fails While Installing RegMon Driver

snowmizer
Communicator

I'm trying to install the v6.2.1 Windows 2008 64-bit version of the universal forwarder. It is failing during the installation. When I look at the log file I see the following:

InstallRegmonDrvCA
InstallRegmonDrv: Warning: Invalid property ignored: FailCA=.
InstallRegmonDrv: Info: Driver inf file: C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\bin\splunkdrv-win6.inf.
InstallRegmonDrv: Error: DriverPackageInstall failed with: 0xa.
InstallRegmonDrv: Warning: Failed to install regmon driver.
InstallRegmonDrv: Error 0x80004005: Cannot install regmon driver.
CustomAction InstallRegmonDrv returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 15:13:28: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

Looking up the 0x80004005 error this points to permissions problem.

Anyone else seen this and have any solutions on how to fix?

Thanks.

1 Solution

mwong
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I have the same issue, I run a command "sfc /scannow" in a command prompt, It did fix some issue. After that, I can install the Splunk 6.2.1.

View solution in original post

supergreen
Engager

When will the SPL-94693 fix be available in the maintenace release?

0 Karma

supergreen
Engager

I was trying to install 6.2.3 (x64) version BTW and running sfc /scannow does solve issue. Thanks!

mwong
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I have the same issue, I run a command "sfc /scannow" in a command prompt, It did fix some issue. After that, I can install the Splunk 6.2.1.

LewisWheeler
Communicator

This fixed for me as well.

0 Karma

snowmizer
Communicator

I ran this on our problem servers and was able to install the forwarders as well.

Thanks.

jcrabb_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thank you for notifying us about the issue. I've opened bug SPL-94693. I will update this when I have been provided additional information.

Jacob
Sr. Technical Support Engineer
0 Karma

e2eadmin
Explorer

I have the same issue, but running the command "sfc /scannow" does NOT fix the issue. Are there any updates to SPL-94693? Thanks.

0 Karma

jcrabb_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

SPL-94693 fix will likely be in the next maintenance release. The workaround is as described by mwong. Please be sure to reboot after running sfc /scannow. If that does not work, be certain all available updates are installed and repeat the steps. If after that the issue still exists, I would encourage you to file a case with Splunk so it can be reviewed.

Jacob
Sr. Technical Support Engineer
0 Karma

snowmizer
Communicator

We did a little more testing and figured out that the forwarder thinks the release is incompatible because the server is an Intel server and the install thinks it's an AMD64.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...