Getting Data In

Truncate on a SplunkUniversalForwarder

bread555
Explorer

One of my sources coming from a universal forwarder needs to have have it's truncate option set to 0. I have edited the local SPLUNKHOME/etc/apps/search/default/props.conf to do this on both the source and the sourcetype to no avail. Has anyone had luck with this?

1 Solution

bmacias84
Champion

The UF performs only minimal processing. It does not examine the data stream of individual events. It only tag the entire stream with metadata to identify source, source type, and host. If you want to parse data and truncate your events from a source on a forwarder you will need to install a Heavy Forwarder, parse data is refered to as cooked data.

If you are unable to install a HF added the trancation setting to your source on your indexer(s)' props.conf files.

Here is the doc on Forwarders:
Typesofforwarders_Types_of_forwarder_data

Hope this help or gets you started. Dont forget to accept or thumbs up answers that help.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

bmacias84
Champion

The UF performs only minimal processing. It does not examine the data stream of individual events. It only tag the entire stream with metadata to identify source, source type, and host. If you want to parse data and truncate your events from a source on a forwarder you will need to install a Heavy Forwarder, parse data is refered to as cooked data.

If you are unable to install a HF added the trancation setting to your source on your indexer(s)' props.conf files.

Here is the doc on Forwarders:
Typesofforwarders_Types_of_forwarder_data

Hope this help or gets you started. Dont forget to accept or thumbs up answers that help.

Cheers.

bread555
Explorer

This sounds like exactly what I need. As soon as I test, I'll +1 🙂 Thanks for the quick, concise, cited, and well worded answer.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...