Getting Data In

The splunk receiver is not receiving the data from the Universal forwarder .

sanjibdhar
Engager

Hi I have installed both splunk enterprise and universal forwarder .I have added a receiver from splunk web interface and configured the forwarder to send data. But the Receiver is not receiving the data. Then i manually edited the inputs.conf for receiving the data, but still it is not receiving. It is showing the following exception in splunkd log--
ERROR TcpInputProc - Received unexpected 825371952 byte message (Invalid payload_size=825371952 received while in parseState=1)! from src=127.0.0.1:61811

The configuration are as follows:

Receiver: inputs.conf

[default]

host = admin-PC

[monitor://$SPLUNK_HOME\etc\splunk.version]

disabled = true

[monitor://$SPLUNK_HOME\var\log\splunk]

disabled = true

[batch://$SPLUNK_HOME\var\spool\splunk]

disabled = true

[batch://$SPLUNK_HOME\var\spool\splunk...stash_new]

disabled = true

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME\bin\scripts\splunk-wmi.path]

disabled = true

[splunktcp://9002]

disabled=false

Forwarder :inputs.conf

[default]

host = admin-PC

[monitor://D:\seachange\log\datagateway.log]

index = main

disabled = false

Forwarder :outputs.conf

[tcpout]

defaultGroup = default-autolb-group

[tcpout:default-autolb-group]

server = localhost:9002

sendCookedData = false

[tcpout-server://localhost:9002]

Now when i delete the receiver and configure a TCP input from Add Data section in web interface it starts receiving data but it also receives the data from Application/System log.How all this happening. I want only the receiver to collect data and the data should be only from the log i specified in inputs.conf in forwarder.FYI i am working on Windows 7 system.

I will highly appreciate any ones help.Please point me out where i am wrong.

0 Karma

Heff
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Your outputs.conf on the forwarder seem to be sending to itself as "localhost"?

My forwarder looks like this, my indexer is .103
OUTPUTS:
[tcpout]
defaultGroup = default-autolb-group

[tcpout:default-autolb-group]
server = 192.168.1.103:9997

[tcpout-server://192.168.1.103:9997]

I also suspect that you enabled the windows-TA when you installed the forwarder, those .conf files are inside
C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\Splunk_TA_windows\etc\apps\ That is why you are getting Windows data but not your datagateway log.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...