Getting Data In

Tailing MSSql Database Datetime Problem

gjohnson

I am trying to tail an MSSql Database that contains trouble tickets. I pull everything in Key/Value pairs. The DateCreated field is a datetime in MSSql, but when the data shows up in Splunk it shows up as a decimal number "1834239.3423" - how can I get Splunk to properly recognize this as a datetime without writing my own polling script?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Karma

musskopf
Builder

Hello,

I used to have the same issue, just try configuring like that your dbx inputs.conf:

[dbmon-tail://MSSQL/MSSQL_Table1]
index = mssqlindex
interval = 120
output.format = kv
output.timestamp = 1
output.timestamp.column = LastModifiedUTC
output.timestamp.parse.format = yyyy-MM-dd' 'HH:mm:ss' 'Z
output.timestamp.format = yyyy-MM-dd' 'HH:mm:ss' 'Z
query = SELECT convert(varchar,s.LastModified,120) + ' +0000' AS LastModifiedUTC, LastModified, any other column FROM table1 WHERE foo=bar {{AND $rising_column$ > ?}}
sourcetype = mssqltail
table = table1
tail.rising.column = LastModified
disabled = 0

You need to stop restart splunk or "reload inputs". Unfortunately you can't do that using the GUI as the GUI doesn't offers the option to configure output.timestamp.parse.format.

Hope it helps.

0 Karma

gjohnson

I would like it if someone could tell me which ".conf" file I could put an eval stanza in to do the same thing so I don't have to do this on every single search line for all the date fields I want to convert...

Is the props.conf file the right place to eval the date to something readable or is that only for changing it before it gets indexed?

Thanks

0 Karma

gjohnson

So I think I was tripping over my own feet. I have a stanza in the props.conf file that tries to Eval the date field - but that never worked. At the same time I was trying to run an Eval or a Convert function on the command line FOR THE SAME FIELD... This was failing. When I tried the Eval on the command line for a different date field it worked like a charm. So I am stripping all of the stanza's from the props.conf files and will use this on the command line for searches:

| eval A_Time=strftime(DateOpened,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")

0 Karma

musskopf
Builder

Question 2: The Splunk event can have only one "_time", which is the default one you use when search for a time range, or last 24h for example.

If you have more dates and want to use it, you can simply convert it to _time, like: "search foo bar | eval _time=secondary_datetime".

Or you might want to convert the stored epoch format into something more readable using "| convert timeformat="%F %T" ctime(secondary_datetime)". But would definitely store it in epoch format as is easier to manipulate before convert to human format.

0 Karma

musskopf
Builder

Question 1: The Tail process need a id or date or anything incremental. The "?" is to be left like that. The DBX stores the last value at "splunk//var//lib//splunk//persistentstorage//dbx//" and use it for the next time it query the DB

0 Karma

gjohnson

Last question - I have successfully brought the data into splunk from the database and established the CreatedDate and gotten it in the right format - but I have multiple date fields and the other fields are still showing up in Epoch format - not date time - how do I change them?

0 Karma

gjohnson

Two other follow-on questions then. I have multiple date fields, is it possible to add multiple "output.timestamp.column" fields in comma delimited so they pickup the .parse.format format command? Also, if I am tailing a database do I need the {{AND $rising_coumn$ > ?}} and if so, what do I replace the "?" with? I thought the tail command would generate and maintain the value itself?

TIA

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...