Getting Data In

Subtracting two timestamps returning incorrect difference?

xoamanda12xo
Explorer

I am using the splunk field: _time and subtracting my own time field: open_date from the time field. The goal is to get the difference between these two time stamps. For example, one entry in the _time field is: "2021-03-11 11:17:13" and one entry in the open_date field is: "2021-06-07T14:50:42".

I am running the current query operations:

| eval difference = abs(_time - strptime(open_date, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S")) | eval difference = strftime(difference,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S")

When running this for the above example entries I get a difference output of "1970-03-29T20:10:19",  which is obviously incorrect. What am I doing wrong and how can I get the correct difference between these two fields?

Labels (5)
0 Karma

astackpole
Path Finder

I would try this:

| eval mytime=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S")
| eval open_date = (strptime(open_date, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S")
| eval diff = abs(mytime - open_date) 
| eval difference = strftime(diff,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S")

When you call the _time variable by default it is in UTC so you need to format both fields before running the final equation. Please upvote if this helps! 🙂 

0 Karma

xoamanda12xo
Explorer

That didn't return any results for me 😞 

0 Karma

astackpole
Path Finder

Try this! Using now() instead of _time works a lot better from my experience. I was able to test this too so let me know if this works for you then!

| makeresults
| eval open_date = "2021-06-07T14:50:42"
| eval open=strptime(open_date, "%F")
| eval days=round((now()-open),0)
| table open open_date _time days

Here's another Splunk Answer I found that may be helpful too! https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/Compare-a-date-field-with-current-date/m-p/65056

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...