I've got a newly installed Indexer on RHEL 6.6. It isn't indexing any data. When I restart the Splunk instance with "./splunk restart", it takes approximately 10-15 minutes to start up. It shuts down quickly, but once it begins the starting process, it displays this much data and then after 10 minutes it finishes:
Splunk> See your world. Maybe wish you hadn't.
Checking http port : open
Checking mgmt port : open
Checking appserver port [127.0.0.1:8065]: open
Checking kvstore port : open
We had an internal issue with auto mounter. For some odd reason, Splunk touches /home/build/ when you issue any command to it (e.g., ./splunk --help or ./splunk restart). This directory didn't exist, and instead of throwing an error, the process hung for upwards of 10-15 minutes. I corrected our issue by just creating an empty directory at /home/build/. Now Splunk restarts on a dime!