Getting Data In

Splunk not getting syslogs.

deca2499
Engager

Hello all,

I am having a problem with my Splunk install that it has stopped accepting syslogs from my Cisco ASA. It was working until 2 days ago. I have the ASA sending the logs to the Splunk server. I am trying to get it back up and running so that I can try and get my ASA access lists worked on. The Splunk install is on a Windows 2016 server and I do not know much about Linux. I really do not want to blow it away and have to redo it all from scratch...  I know the server is getting the logs as I have Kiwi on the box as well and it shows the logs as they come in. The firewall is off on the Windows server as well. Can anyone help and point me in the right direction to find out what is going on and get it fixed?

Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @deca2499,

If you are running Kiwi and Splunk together and both listening Cisco ASA UDP syslog data, only one of them can get it.  Is it possible you started Kiwi two days ago?

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @deca2499,

If you are running Kiwi and Splunk together and both listening Cisco ASA UDP syslog data, only one of them can get it.  Is it possible you started Kiwi two days ago?

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.
0 Karma

deca2499
Engager

DANGIT! !   I didnt even think to look at the kiwi service that is on the server..  It was running, so it was probably getting them before Splunk.. I have now disabled the service and Splunk is getting what I was expected to...   Sometimes, you just have to look at the simple things.

Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...