Getting Data In

Single server timestamp issues

tpa_splunk
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hello all,

I am currently running into issues with netscaler logs with the following format: 

2021-01-28T06:14:09.884506+08:00 10.10.10.10 01/27/2021:14:14:14 hostname

I have used the following props to successfully set time format to the second time zone on other heavy forwarders but have been unable to successfully apply it on this heavy forwarder: 

TIME_FORMAT = ^\S\s+\S+\s+
TIME_PREFIX = %m/%d/%Y:%H:%M:%S

I have also tried using a transforms to strip the original header and used the following configs with those logs:

999.999.999.999 01/27/2021:14:14:14 hostname

TIME_FORMAT = ^\S\s+
TIME_PREFIX = %m/%d/%Y:%H:%M:%S

When going to GUI of HF, and trying to index this file once Splunk says that it fails to parse timestamp and is reverting to modtime of file. I am not sure where the error could be as I copied a working config from a different forwarder. I have also tried more specific regex using the following:

TIME_FORMAT = ^\d{4}\-\d{2}\-\d{2}T\d{2}\:\d{2}\:\d{2}\.\d+\+\d+\:\d+\s+\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\s+

and still receive an error. Both servers are running 8.0.3 and the file is being written to disk on the forwarder with props applied. rewritten the props multiple times and removed all spaces to ensure something wasn't being added by default. When I load the citrix_netscaler sourcetype in getting data in the regex shows up with an error. If I cut and repaste it matches time zone successfully. After saving the errors come backs up. Any advice on this would be appreciated. 

Labels (2)
0 Karma

harishraj12
Engager

Try this,

TIME_PREFIX = ^\S+\s\S+\s
TIME_FORMAT = %m/%d/%Y:%H:%M:%S

0 Karma

tpa_splunk
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Same result, also tried using the literal hostname in the TIME_PREFIX as it is the same for this instance and had no luck. Can you think of any reason that the TIME_FORMAT would be valid for one instance and not for another when both are running at 8.0.3? The only difference between the logs is that the ones that are working have a hostname in front of the time and these have an IP. \S+ will handle both and Splunk is not outputting any additional errors in splunkd. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...