Getting Data In

Splunk Universal Forwarder on Win 2000?

tpaulsen
Contributor

Hallo,

we know it´s not supported officially, but we have some very old Windows 2000 server, that won´t be upgraded before next year, but we need to install Splunk on them. Will the Universal Forwarder work on Windows 2000?

Thank you!

0 Karma
1 Solution

fcorbin
Engager

I think there may be a difference between the forwarder and the configuration I have, but I have yet to figure out what it is, so here's what I know...

I installed Splunk 4.2.1 (Enterprise trial, but since then the trial ran out, so I am running the free license now). Go to Manager > Forwarding and receiving > Forwarding defaults, chose not to store local copy of the events (otherwise I guess this would be an indexer as well). Then go to Configure forwarding and add the host you want to send data to.

good luck...

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mendesjo
Path Finder

I've tested upto 5.0 works..

0 Karma

tpaulsen
Contributor

Yep 4.2.1 works on Win 2000.

0 Karma

tpaulsen
Contributor

fcorbin, thank you, i guess than Splunk> does not try to force you to install on only supported plattforms like other products (BMC....) do...

0 Karma

fcorbin
Engager

I think there may be a difference between the forwarder and the configuration I have, but I have yet to figure out what it is, so here's what I know...

I installed Splunk 4.2.1 (Enterprise trial, but since then the trial ran out, so I am running the free license now). Go to Manager > Forwarding and receiving > Forwarding defaults, chose not to store local copy of the events (otherwise I guess this would be an indexer as well). Then go to Configure forwarding and add the host you want to send data to.

good luck...

0 Karma

tpaulsen
Contributor

Hello, thank you. Did you install the Splunk Forwarder 4.2.1?

0 Karma

fcorbin
Engager

I am new to Splunk so there may be things I haven't seen. FWIW, I installed Splunk as an indexer on a Win 2000 server and it worked fine. I later converted that machine to be a forwarder and it still works fine.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...