Getting Data In

Splunk Universal Forwarder is ignoring logs

dantimola
Communicator

Splunk Universal Forwarder version: 6.2.6 (build 274160)

Hi,

Good Day. Would like to seek for an assistance, resolution on my issue. Here's the case:

I have 5 universal forwarder and an app config in a server class and have this stanza in my inputs.conf

[WinEventLog://Security]
disabled = 0
start_from = oldest
current_only = 0
evt_resolve_ad_obj = 1
checkpointInterval = 5
blacklist1 = EventCode="4662" Message="Object Type:\s+(?!groupPolicyContainer)"
blacklist2 = EventCode="566" Message="Object Type:\s+(?!groupPolicyContainer)"
index = dhcp_winevt
renderXml=false

###### DHCP ######
[monitor://C:\Windows\System32\dhcp\DhcpSrv*]
disabled = 0
sourcetype = dhcp_server_logs
index = dhcp_index
## connection_host = none

Indexing of the logs is fine on the first and second months, then, eventually 2 of 5 universal forwarder has stopped forwarding the DHCP logs as seen on the inputs.conf stanza, but still forwarding the Security logs, so, we then check the logs on the server side but DHCP log is still actively logging. What seems to be the problem here? Thanks in advance.

0 Karma

twinspop
Influencer

Check _internal splunkd logs for TailingProcessor errors:

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd component=TailingProcessor

I see problems like this most often when log files have a header on them. Splunk IDs files with a CRC of the first 256 bytes of a file. If that's the same for every new roll of the file, Splunk says "hey, I've already seen this file" and will permanently skip it. You can change the initCrcLength value in the input definition to a larger value to ensure you capture unique data.

[monitor://C:\Windows\System32\dhcp\DhcpSrv*]
disabled = 0
sourcetype = dhcp_server_logs
index = dhcp_index
initCrcLength = 1024

NOTE! If you change this value, all files that match the stanza will get a new ID and splunk will re-index them.

0 Karma

amielke
Communicator

Is the Forwarder via outputs.conf connect to the indexer?
In case Yes, check the internal log for this forwarder and the log level "error".

Is the folder changed?

0 Karma

dantimola
Communicator

The folder does not change, I've checked internal logs and found out cooked connection and raw connection error towards our Heavy Forwarders even though connection is allowed through firewall. What seems to be the problem here?

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

any errors in the client universal forwarder logs?
We had this issue whereby the client's administrator blocked access (i.e permission issues)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...