Getting Data In

Splunk Free Edition stopped indexing after set-up

sploited

I've tried browsing around previous topics but couldn't find anything that worked for my particular situation. I have a very simple test setup with a Universal Forwarder, a Debian 9 machine running the free edition of Splunk Enterprise, and another non-Splunk box. My goal was to simulate log forwarding from the workstation running the Universal Forwarder to the Splunk box to my non-Splunk box. I was indexing things up to 3 hours ago while troubleshooting why logs weren't being forwarded to my non-Splunk server. Eventually, I was able to get this data forwarded successfully to my non-Splunk server but then I noticed it stopped indexing on the Splunk server. No errors.

My Splunk servers outputs.conf:
[tcpout]
defaultGroup = default-autolb-group

[tcpout:default-autolb-group]
server = 10.X.1.99:514
sendCookedData = false
indexAndForward=true
[tcpout-server://10.X.1.99:514]

My Splunk servers inputs.conf; listening on 9997:
[default]
host = splunk

My Universal Forwarders outputs.conf:
[tcpout]
defaultGroup = default-autolb-group

[tcpout:default-autolb-group]
server = 10.X.1.181:9997
autoLB = true

My Universal Forwarders inputs.conf (SOC workstation):
[default]
host = SOC-6

Monitored Files:
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/splunk.version
/var/log/auth.log
/var/log/syslog

It's supposed to be a very basic setup. Like I said, I'm receiving logs on the non-Splunk box which was the main goal but I can't leave it partial with the Indexer not indexing. If you require further information feel free to request it. Thanks

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Did you check the free disk space on the indexer? The default value is 5000 Mb , see the docs http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/Serverconf if the the free disk space is lower Splunk stops indexing.

cheers, MuS

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...