Getting Data In

Specifying timezone by host and sourcetype

grahamkenville
Engager

We have a sourcetype for /var/log/messages that is logged in the local server time on almost every host.

We have one host, however, which logs /var/log/messages (and some other files) in GMT. The system time on this host is set to the local timezone. This host is sending logs via the universal forwarder.

I understand that I need to probably need to modify props.conf on the Splunk host which is indexing the logs. My question is, how do I specify that I only want sourcetype foo from host bar (and ONLY host bar) to be in GMT?

Can I do something like this?
[source::/var/log/messages AND host::bar]
TZ=GMT

Thanks!

0 Karma

pshumate
Explorer

Where do I conf that?
Timestamp is a parse time function and must be done at the indexer. 6.0 helps a bit.

0 Karma

Takajian
Builder

Timestamp is recognized when Splunk parse the event. So, you will need to configure appropriate Timezone setting on your universal forwarder with host, not central indexer. Hope this help.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...