Getting Data In

Setup of universal forwarder - documentation mess

krishananth
Explorer

Hello,

I'm evaluating Splunk and got enterprise trial installed in my PC.
I would like to forward events/java log file data using an universal forwarded to enterprise trial.
The forwarder will run on an unix machine (simple: setup a forwarder, see how it works in splunk server/receiver)

The documentation links are confusing 😞 and is frustrating:
1) The documentation has splunk on unix, unix add on, splunk app for stream etc.
Which one is exactly the universal forwarder? (which will just do forwarding of data that is configured for).
2) What should I download and where is the step-by-step installation guide for this universal forwarder?

Thank you,

Ananth

0 Karma
1 Solution

krishananth
Explorer

Thank you - how can I recommend Splunk to fix their documentation?

• Ananth
0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We are listening! We have substantial revisions to the forwarder documentation in progress. Apologies for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience as we proceed with these improvements.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...