Getting Data In

Search information from IIS logs

tbalouch
Path Finder

Hi Guys,

Do you know of a Splunk App that facilitates searching of IIS logs? Also is there a way I can parse logs to find out which users attempted to login to my IIS servers and if they were successful or not? Is there a custom search I can use?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lukejadamec
Super Champion

IIS logs are great fun to search, if the search time extractions are configured correctly in splunk. Unfortunately, the configuration often requires manual adjustments. Read this post, it contains pretty much everything you need to know.

http://answers.splunk.com/answers/24986/iis-log-fields-not-parsing

View solution in original post

0 Karma

tbalouch
Path Finder

Thanks this is great!

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

IIS logs are great fun to search, if the search time extractions are configured correctly in splunk. Unfortunately, the configuration often requires manual adjustments. Read this post, it contains pretty much everything you need to know.

http://answers.splunk.com/answers/24986/iis-log-fields-not-parsing

0 Karma

tbalouch
Path Finder

Thanks so much!

0 Karma

dart
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi,

When you're asking about login to IIS, do you mean logging onto Windows, or logging into a web page/app?

If it's the former, then the Splunk App for Windows includes setup for looking at windows logins, if it's the latter, and you're recording authentication in the IIS logs, then the Splunk Add-on for Weblogs can help you set up field extractions for pulling out the user field, which should get you most of the way to a report on logged in users.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...