Getting Data In

Search filter for field eliminating output if a specific values (out of two) is true

geoffmoraes
Path Finder

I want to run a search where if AuthenticationMethod!=x509_PKI even once within 6 hours, it should not show the host (Calling_Station_ID) in the results.

This should work even if the search time range is increased to 48 hours or 7 days, basically only showing hosts that have not had a AuthenticationMethod=x509_PKI and have only had a AuthenticationMethod=Lookup.

With my current search, if I go back 48 hours, it shows the AuthenticationMethod=Lookup even if there was a AuthenticationMethod=x509_PKI within those hours.

index=security sourcetype=cisco:ise CISE_Passed_Authentications HostIdentityGroup="Endpoint Identity Groups:Profiled:Workstation" "Device Type=Device Type#All Device Types#Network Devices#Cisco#Monitor Mode" Protocol!=Tacacs (AuthenticationMethod=Lookup AND AuthenticationMethod!=x509_PKI) 
| fields _time Calling_Station_ID User_Name NetworkDeviceName EndPointMatchedProfile AuthenticationMethod 
| eval t=(now() - _time) 
| eval tm=(t/60) 
| eval Hours_elapsed=round(tm/60,2) 
| where Hours_elapsed > 5.99 
| table Hours_elapsed Calling_Station_ID User_Name NetworkDeviceName EndPointMatchedProfile AuthenticationMethod 
Tags (2)
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Your description is unclear but if what you need is to find and host that has any AuthenticationMethod="Lookup" events that have not had a partner AuthenticationMethod!="x509_PKI" event within 6-hours (on either side), then this will do that:

index="security" AND sourcetype="cisco:ise CISE_Passed_Authentications" AND HostIdentityGroup="Endpoint Identity Groups:Profiled:Workstation" AND "Device Type=Device Type#All Device Types#Network Devices#Cisco#Monitor Mode" AND Protocol!="Tacacs" AND (AuthenticationMethod="Lookup" OR AuthenticationMethod!="x509_PKI")
| streamstats time_window=6h count(eval(AuthenticationMethod="x509_PKI")) AS x509_PKI_count BY host
| search AuthenticationMethod="x509_PKI" AND x509_PCI_count=0

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Your description is unclear but if what you need is to find and host that has any AuthenticationMethod="Lookup" events that have not had a partner AuthenticationMethod!="x509_PKI" event within 6-hours (on either side), then this will do that:

index="security" AND sourcetype="cisco:ise CISE_Passed_Authentications" AND HostIdentityGroup="Endpoint Identity Groups:Profiled:Workstation" AND "Device Type=Device Type#All Device Types#Network Devices#Cisco#Monitor Mode" AND Protocol!="Tacacs" AND (AuthenticationMethod="Lookup" OR AuthenticationMethod!="x509_PKI")
| streamstats time_window=6h count(eval(AuthenticationMethod="x509_PKI")) AS x509_PKI_count BY host
| search AuthenticationMethod="x509_PKI" AND x509_PCI_count=0
0 Karma

geoffmoraes
Path Finder

Had to tweak it a bit, but this helped. Thanks!

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The base search is looking for events where AuthenticationMethod is both "Lookup" and not "x509_PKI". If it's "Lookup" then it can't be "x509_PKI" so there's no need to include both in the search.
What you need is all events with AuthenticationMethod of "Lookup" OR "x509_PKI". Combine them by calling station then discard those with x509_PKI.

index=security sourcetype=cisco:ise CISE_Passed_Authentications HostIdentityGroup="Endpoint Identity Groups:Profiled:Workstation" "Device Type=Device Type#All Device Types#Network Devices#Cisco#Monitor Mode" Protocol!=Tacacs (AuthenticationMethod=Lookup OR AuthenticationMethod=x509_PKI) 
| fields _time Calling_Station_ID User_Name NetworkDeviceName EndPointMatchedProfile AuthenticationMethod 
| stats values(*) as * by Calling_Station_ID
| where NOT mvfind(AuthenticationMethod, "x509_PKI")
| eval t=(now() - _time) 
| eval tm=(t/60) 
| table Hours_elapsed Calling_Station_ID User_Name NetworkDeviceName EndPointMatchedProfile AuthenticationMethod
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

geoffmoraes
Path Finder

Thanks richgalloway! Yes, it makes sense to include both "Lookup" OR "x509_PKI" events.

I tried your solution, and got an error...
Error in 'where' command: Typechecking failed. 'XOR' only takes boolean arguments.

So then I changed it to this...

index=security sourcetype=cisco:ise CISE_Passed_Authentications HostIdentityGroup="Endpoint Identity Groups:Profiled:Workstation" "Device Type=Device Type#All Device Types#Network Devices#Cisco#Monitor Mode" Protocol!=Tacacs (AuthenticationMethod=Lookup OR AuthenticationMethod=x509_PKI)
| eval t=(now() - _time) 
| eval tm=(t/60) 
| fields Hours_elapsed Calling_Station_ID User_Name NetworkDeviceName EndPointMatchedProfile AuthenticationMethod 
| stats values(*) as * by Calling_Station_ID 
| where (AuthenticationMethod!="x509_PKI")

It seems that when piping to "stats", the _time field is taken off, so I did the _time eval before the stats.

Also the "where NOT mvfind" gave no results, so I changed that to | where (AuthenticationMethod!="x509_PKI") and got output with just the Lookup auths.

The output is not accurate though; it still shows Lookup auths for a host even though it has had x509_PKI auths within the given search time period.

Can you tell me why | where NOT mvfind(AuthenticationMethod, "x509_PKI") wasn't producing any output?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I guess where does not like integer results. Try | where isnotnull(mvfind(AuthenticationMethod, "x509_PKI"))

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

geoffmoraes
Path Finder

Well, | where isnotnull(mvfind(AuthenticationMethod, "x509_PKI")) shows hosts that have only had x509_PKI auths; just the opposite of what is required.

So I tried | where isnull(mvfind(AuthenticationMethod, "x509_PKI")), which gives the same output as | where (AuthenticationMethod!="x509_PKI"). These show just the Lookup auths but even if there was a x509_PKI for that host within the past 6 hours. So, none of these give the required output.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...