Getting Data In

Scripted Input timeout

paulathome
Path Finder

Hypothetically, if I have a scripted input that takes 6 minutes to run, and I execute it every 5 minutes, what should I expect to happen?

a) Splunk will kill the first one before starting the second one.
b) Splunk will run the first one and wait until it finishes to start the next one.
c) Splunk will kick off the first one, and then kick off the second one, leaving 2 threads running for 1 minute.

I'm just curious as I didn't see a script timeout option. I did see that some folks have scripts that run "forever" and provide input the entire time. Which is an option for me, but wanted to know how Splunk prefers to work.

Thanks,
Paul

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

MHibbin
Influencer

And the answer is...

"B" ... Splunk will run the first one and wait until it finishes to start the next one.

I would suggest, you (as you mentioned) have a script that will loop itself and run forever, you can then set the interval = -1 option in your inputs.conf file.

OR

You could implement some kind of timeout factor into your script incase your script "hangs" or takes longer than expected.

Regards,

MHibbin

View solution in original post

MHibbin
Influencer

And the answer is...

"B" ... Splunk will run the first one and wait until it finishes to start the next one.

I would suggest, you (as you mentioned) have a script that will loop itself and run forever, you can then set the interval = -1 option in your inputs.conf file.

OR

You could implement some kind of timeout factor into your script incase your script "hangs" or takes longer than expected.

Regards,

MHibbin

MHibbin
Influencer

my understanding is... and this is only from my experience of long-running scripts, which hasn't extensively been tested..

A scripted input will try to run from the time Splunk creates an "ExecProcessor" for that script at start-up, e.g:

06-17-2012 16:06:54.644 +0100 INFO ExecProcessor - New scheduled exec process: python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/search/bin/script.py
06-17-2012 16:06:54.644 +0100 INFO ExecProcessor - interval: 60000 ms

So in this extract from splunkd.log you can see my script will try to run every 60 seconds from 16:06:54.644. If my script takes 61 seconds...

0 Karma

paulathome
Path Finder

OK, that was kind of what I thought. So does the interval time, say 5 minutes, start from the time that the last execution ended? Or does Splunk think that it needs to run again immediately because it missed the last time?

My choice is to have Splunk run a database dumper executable on a timed interval, or have a Windows Service run continuously and do all of the work and just have Splunk read its output.

Paul

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...