Getting Data In

SNMP info from device to splunk

flanny22

We have a device setup to send out SNMP information to splunk, which is a useid from AD and their client IP address. Is possible to use a script within Splunk that can parse our that relevant information and send it to another device?

thank you

Tags (1)
0 Karma

piebob
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

yes, you can forward a subset of your data to a third-party system. information is here:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.2/Deploy/Forwarddatatothird-partysystemsd

flanny22

yes i did that. I am now setting up Splunk on a Debian box. Windows drives me crazy...
thank you for your input.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

For net-snmp support your best shot is to post questions on a net-snmp forum/mailing list or similar.

flanny22

one other thing, windows services snmp and snmptrap are installed but disabled.

tia

0 Karma

flanny22

In my c:\usr\etc\snmp\snmp.conf file i have the following
mibdirs C:/usr/share/snmp/mibs
persistentDir C:/usr/snmp/persist
tempFilePattern C:/usr/temp/snmpdXXXXXX
snmpTrapdAddr 10.4.0.7:162
authCommunity log public

thank you for you feedback

0 Karma

flanny22

thank you. So net-snmp and splunk are on the same box, windows 2003. when I run the command "snmptranslate -IR -Td IF-MIB::linkDown" I get the following
C:\usr\perl>snmptranslate -IR -Td IF-MIB::linkDown
No log handling enabled - using stderr logging
C:/usr/etc/snmp/snmp.conf: line 4: Warning: Unknown token: snmpTrapdAddr.
C:/usr/etc/snmp/snmp.conf: line 5: Warning: Unknown token: authCommunity.
IF-MIB::linkDown

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

No, what you should do is setup net-snmp and have it listen to port 162, then have Splunk read the files that net-snmp writes to.

flanny22

OK, so getting our device to send snmp to splunk has been a little challenge.
On a windows box with splunk installed, do I setup a receiver on port 162 for SNMP to access the snmp infor from our device?
I have net-snmp installed as per another post on here.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...