willthames
Path Finder

My props.conf is as follows. The SEDCMDs seem to be very temperamental

[server]
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 0
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = true
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE = ^\d{4}-\d{2}-\d{2} \d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2},\d{3},
TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
SEDCMD-exception-raised-ignore = s/(Exception raised [^:]*:).*$/\1 INFO REMOVED)/g
SEDCMD-remove-extra-timestamp = s/(ERROR \[STDERR\]) \d{2}-\w{3}-\d{4} \d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}/\1 DATE REMOVED/g
REPORT-server = jboss-server-extractions

And then I get (some values changed)

2011-02-16 16:11:24,336, ERROR [STDERR] com.company.Exception: attempt to retrieve money as wrong currency.
    (Exception raised at address: server8.production/10.0.0.8); 
    (Exception raised on date: INFO REMOVED)

So the SEDCMD-exception-raised-ignore is working on the second 'Exception raised' line but not the first. Earlier today I was struggling to get it to work at all, and even now, other very similar results aren't being processed:

2011-02-16 17:23:35,882, ERROR [org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[jboss.web].[localhost].[/].[zzzaction]] Servlet.service() for servlet zzzaction threw exception
com.company.Exception: com.company.Exception: attempt to retrieve money as wrong currency.  
    (Exception raised at address: server3.production/10.0.0.3); 
    (Exception raised on date: Wed Feb 16 17:23:35 UTC 2011);; 
    (Exception raised at address: server3.production/10.0.0.3); 
    (Exception raised on date: Wed Feb 16 17:23:35 UTC 2011);

Any help in getting to the bottom of why this is so temperamental and how to make it work more regularly would be gratefully received!

Thanks!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Ron_Naken
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I haven't run into any issue with SEDCMD. Your RegEx for SEDCMD-exception-raised-ignore will not work correctly. Try it like this:

SEDCMD-exception-raised-ignore = s/(Exception raised [^:]*:)\V*/\1 INFO REMOVED)/g

View solution in original post

Ron_Naken
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I haven't run into any issue with SEDCMD. Your RegEx for SEDCMD-exception-raised-ignore will not work correctly. Try it like this:

SEDCMD-exception-raised-ignore = s/(Exception raised [^:]*:)\V*/\1 INFO REMOVED)/g

willthames
Path Finder

Just checked the resultset now and it works a treat

0 Karma

willthames
Path Finder

Ok, so that's because the SEDCMD is run against the event, not the line? I've given the \V a try and will see how it performs next time the event occurs.

Thanks for the answer, and good to know that SEDCMD is usually reliable!

0 Karma

Ron_Naken
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Note: This will only affect new data being indexed. Restart Splunk after making the change.

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This makes me wonder about sedcmd with repeat match behavior, and multiline events. Hopefully will come back with something useful later.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...