Getting Data In

Routing events to a specific index based on a field value via transforms and props not working as expected

IngloriousSplun
Communicator

I am trying to route certain events to a specific index based on a field value. All events are sent to a heavy forwarder, which then forwards traffic to my indexers. The system that generates the events I want to reroute required a custom data input, so on the heavy forwarder I have a data input defined on a specific UDP port. The data input places all events from this system into a specific index, indexA for simplicity. Some events from this system contain a certain field value, we'll call it reRouteMe, in a certain field, fieldA. For these events, I want to move them to a different index, indexB.

So basically, for all events from this specific source - if fieldA = reRouteMe I want this to go to indexB, otherwise, the event should go to its normal index indexA defined in the data input. This is the current configuration on the HFWD, which is not working for some reason:

props.conf

[sourcetypeA]
TRANSFORMS-reroute = reRouteMe

transforms.conf

[reRouteMe]
SOURCE_KEY  = _raw
REGEX = (reRouteMe)
DEST_KEY = _MetaData:Index
FORMAT = indexB

I've also tried applying this on my indexers to no avail, and I've tried REGEX variances such as fieldA=reRouteMe, etc. I'm leaning toward the issue being the custom data input that's defined on the forwarder inferring with the props / transforms, but I would think the props / transforms on the indexers would catch it.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

If I were you, I would just do it after the fact and copy the special events into a summary index using the collect command; this will be FAR easier (it moves from exceedingly difficult, perhaps even impossible, to absolutely trivial):

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.5/SearchReference/collect

View solution in original post

rmanrique
Path Finder

Could you do it using props and transforms?

0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What is the stanza for your inputs.conf?

Can you run a btool on the sourcetype? Make sure the reRouteMe applies to the sourcetype.

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk btool list props sourcetypeA --debug Will show (with file paths) the configurations applied to the sourcetype. So if the inputs.conf sourcetype matches the props.conf sourcetype, and btool reports it correctly, this should work. I verified the config in my test environment, so I know what you have listed will work.

0 Karma

IngloriousSplun
Communicator

inputs.conf in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/local has all of my custom defined data inputs. This one in particular is [udp://515] and lists:

[udp://515]
index = indexA
source = sourceA
sourcetype = sourcetypeA
connection_host = dns

That being said, should this inputs.conf be located elsewhere, such as in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local where the props.conf and transforms.conf are located, or should I move props and transforms to be with this inputs? I wouldn't think it matters honestly.

If I run btool as you suggested it pulls props from $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local and $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/default, but the transforms it refers to is from $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local

0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do you have a sample event (sanatized) that you can share? all of these things should be working. You can keep them in system/local, that's fine for now.

Join us on IRC, #splunk on efnet.org, and we can discuss real-time what and how.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

If I were you, I would just do it after the fact and copy the special events into a summary index using the collect command; this will be FAR easier (it moves from exceedingly difficult, perhaps even impossible, to absolutely trivial):

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.5/SearchReference/collect

IngloriousSplun
Communicator

We receive hundreds of events a day that have to be moved to this other index in a streaming fashion. If it was just a one-off case I'd agree this is a good solution.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Hundreds/day is nothing. I would still use the collect command run every hour.

0 Karma

IngloriousSplun
Communicator

So running [field]=[value] | collect index=[new] did not result in the events moving? They are still in the original index.

0 Karma

IngloriousSplun
Communicator

Actually, I missed that collect moves to a summary index. We aren't permitted to have these events in this index, so I need to move these events to the new index and ensure they aren't in the original.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The collect command copies them, you still need to use delete to remove (hide) them from the original index. As far as going to a summary index, that only means that you you will not be charged twice for the volume against your license, which is a very good thing.

0 Karma

IngloriousSplun
Communicator

I also missed that it doesn't keep the sourcetype, so they are all in the new index with a host field as the search head and the sourcetype of stash. So I should be able to do [field]=[value] | collect index=[new] sourcetype=[sourcetype] host=[host[ to maintain the metadata correct?

0 Karma

IngloriousSplun
Communicator

This resolved my issue well enough for now until I can figure out why the routing stopped working. Thanks for the help!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...