Getting Data In

Repeated ntfs problems on Windows 7 64

MrSplunksta
Path Finder

Hi ! Since I have installed splunk-4.1.2-79191-x64-release as a forwarder on a Windows 64 i'm getting several instances of pairs of Event IDs 55 and 26 that seem to report data corruption.

Here are some examples EVENT ID 55 La structure du système de fichiers (filesystem) sur le disque est endommagée (damaged) et inutilisable (unusable). Exécutez l’utilitaire chkdsk sur le volume C:.

EVENT ID 26 Message de l’application : splunkd.exe - Fichier endommagé : Le fichier (file) ou le répertoire (folder) C:\Program Files\Splunk\var\run\splunk\dispatch\scheduler_nobody_windows_cGVyZm9ybWFuY2Vfc25hcHNob3Q_at_1273975200_1819810544 est endommagé (damaged) et illisible (unreadable). Exécutez (run) l’utilitaire CHKDSK.

NOTE: I've inserted some translations in parenthesis

Does anyone have an idea what is happening?

Thanks in advance

Georges

0 Karma
1 Solution

MrSplunksta
Path Finder

I can confirm that the problem has completely vanished once I upgraded to 4.1.4 😉

View solution in original post

0 Karma

RIADH

Hi, all members,
I'm seeing exactly the same problem on a Windows XP 32 bit.

alt text

0 Karma

Brian_Osburn
Builder

I'd suggest opening another question regarding this since this was from almost 2 years ago, and the latest version is now 4.3..

Brian

0 Karma

MrSplunksta
Path Finder

I can confirm that the problem has completely vanished once I upgraded to 4.1.4 😉

0 Karma

slever

I'm seeing exactly the same problem on a Windows 32 bit server. If I either uninstall Splunk (4.1.2) or disable the Splunk services the disk errors don't happen. As soon as I let Splunk run I get multiple disk errors (event ID 55). I have a mirrored RAID that doesn't report errors under any other situations. I've disabled disk caching but it made no difference.

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It is not unusual that Splunk will trigger OS errors that are not easily triggered by other applications, especially with respect to disk, because few other applications write new data continuously at potentially high rates. If the OS error was the one discussed in the other answer here, it is a filesystem level error, and it doesn't really matter what the hardware is.

0 Karma

slever

Thanks I'll try the latest version and see if that fixes it.

0 Karma

MrSplunksta
Path Finder

did you try 4.1.3 to see if it resolves this problem. I'll be upgrading my self later this week.

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It seems likely that you have a problem with your disk. This error is generated by the OS/filesystem, not by Splunk itself. Have you in fact run CHKDSK against the volume to see if there are bad sectors?

MrSplunksta
Path Finder

I think you're right! It's just enoying though that I have to go trough these forced chkdsk at each reboot if I forget to remove the dirty bit from the disks 😞

Thanks again to have taken the time.

🙂

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk may be more likely to make a filesystem problem show up because it is much more write-intensive (and read-intensive) than almost any other application you are likely to run. I would think that Splunk will not work well if the files are bad, but if the results seem to come back and it's not crashing, I guess you're okay. If it's the error in the forums, it appears that there is no actual corruption of data, so it's basically just a bogus error message from Windows. (Also, the particular Splunk files in question are not permanent data files, but temp files anyway.)

MrSplunksta
Path Finder

In the mean time, i'd like to know if the problems i'm having are detrimental to splunk or is it programmed to address such issues? Or should I stop using it because it's unreliable in this context?

Or even better, is there a workaround?

Again, thanks to everyone for you precious time. 🙂

0 Karma

MrSplunksta
Path Finder

Here is an interesting discussion about a know regression in NTFS on Windows 7 that has been recently known to cause similar probs with other products.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/df935a52-a0a9-4f67-ac82-bc39e058...

Do you think it could be the cause of my errors?

MrSplunksta
Path Finder

Alas, the problem is only showing up when Splunk is installed. I'm not sure Splunk is actually responsible for the problem. It just happens when it's installed.

Now here's what I did prior my initial post.
- multiple offline check disks without errors. BTW when Event ID 55 is logged, the os flags the filesystem as dirty so I am forced into chkdsk after each reboots.

• Restored a disk image of the os prior splunk installation without problems but as soon as I reinst splunk the problems reoccur.

• smartmontools runs n all my machines and the hd is in perfect health

thx for your time 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...