Getting Data In

[RESOLVED] Forwarder stops at midnight on Windows 2012R2 DHCP server log

ww9rivers
Communicator

I have Splunk Universal Forwarders on 4 Windows 2012R2 servers, monitoring the DHCP server logs with this stanza:

[monitor://Z:\dhcp\logs]
disabled = 0
sourcetype = DhcpSrvLog
whitelist = DhcpSrvLog*
crcSalt = <SOURCE>
initCrcLength = 2000

That works when I started the forwarder. But I found that the forwarder stopped sending new logs to my indexers at midnight sharp, which I don't know if it has something to do with the fact that the log for today has a timestamp of midnight yesterday:

Mode                LastWriteTime     Length Name
----                -------------     ------ ----
-a---          2/4/2015  12:00 AM  146695986 DhcpSrvLog-Tue.log
-a---          2/4/2015  12:00 AM  138881102 DhcpSrvLog-Wed.log

At that point, I added an "alwaysOpenFile = 1" item in the stanza to see if that solves the problem. But I came in this morning to find that it had changed nothing whatsoever.

Soooo, what else can I do to handle this Microsoft beast?

[Edit]: Not sure if (or how) this could be a factor: The folder in the monitor stanza "Z:/dhcp/logs" is a Windows symbolic link to a folder "E:/dhcp/logs_<HOSTNAME>" -- those forward slashes (/) are replacement of back slashes in Windows, of course.

0 Karma
1 Solution

ww9rivers
Communicator

Well, my monitor stanza actually did work.

I guess I wasn't patient enough after I put in "alwaysOpenFile = 1", which I believe is what made Splunk deal with the log file rotation correctly, in combination with "initCrcLength = 2000".

I don't believe that "*crcSalt = *" is needed in this case but I am not going to change the stanza at this point as that does no harm either.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ww9rivers
Communicator

Well, my monitor stanza actually did work.

I guess I wasn't patient enough after I put in "alwaysOpenFile = 1", which I believe is what made Splunk deal with the log file rotation correctly, in combination with "initCrcLength = 2000".

I don't believe that "*crcSalt = *" is needed in this case but I am not going to change the stanza at this point as that does no harm either.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...