Getting Data In

Query for Splunk Forwarder is active or not?

sneha0924
Loves-to-Learn

We have received an alert for splunk Forwarder not active on 1 host. We are not able go see the contributing events for this.

Could you please help me with the query to search whether splunk Forwarder is active or not?

0 Karma

sneha0924
Loves-to-Learn

Hi @gcusello  

Thanks for your response.

I want to debug  a forwarder that isn't sending logs. 

I Will follow the steps which you have provided and will update you.

Thanks

I will try an

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sneha0924,

Let me understand: do you want a search to have an alert when a forwarder is down or to debug this condition?

if you want an alert, you have to create a lookup (called e.g. perimeter.csv) containing all the hostnames to monitor in your perimeter, containing at least one column (host), and run a search like this:

| metasearch index=_internal
| eval host=lower(host)
| stats count BY host
| append [ | inputlookup perimeter.csv | eval host=lower(host), count=0 | fields host count ]
| stats sum(count) AS total BY host
| where total=0

if instead you want to debug  a forwarder that isn't sending logs, you have to go in SSH on that machine and then: check the connection with telnet and see local Splunk logs to debug the problem.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...