Getting Data In

Preserve data on disconnected machine

robertjollsdrs
Explorer

I have a few endpoints with forwarders that need to be disconnected from the network for periods of time (up to a month in some instances). Since we forward Windows Event Log data (for security audits) to our indexer on the network, I do not want to lose any data and would like the forwarders to send all of the missing data to the indexer once they rejoin the network.

I have been reading about acknowledgement and persistent queues, but it seems that the forwarder still keeps some data in memory. I would like to eliminate or at least severely minimize the amount of audit data in memory that will be lost.

Can I combine the acknowledgement and persistent queue settings to achieve this? Can I set useACK=true and set maxQueueSize to something super small like maxQueueSize=1kb, then set the persistentQueueSize to an appropriate amount to cover the amount of time the forwarder will be disconnected? Is there a minimum limit to maxQueueSize?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...