Getting Data In

My forwarder's outgoing data rate is lagging. How to resolve this in order for the forwarder to send data continuously?

chintan_shah
Path Finder

alt text

Forwarder is not sending the data at real-time, it is having some lag as mentioned in the screenshot. Can anyone help me in fixing it?
At 1:10 AM, kbs was nearly 0 whereas the source has some data which is transferred later

chintan_shah
Path Finder

Hi jcrabb,

I tried as mentioned by, to change the maxKBps to 0, but still i have faced the same issue.
alt text

0 Karma

jcrabb_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Have you looked at the logs on the forwarder? Do you see an issue that stands out? Examples:

• Problems connecting to Indexer
  • Blocked queues (search metrics.log for "block")
  • Errors like this: INFO TailReader - File descriptor cache is full (100), trimming...

How big is the log you are trying to ingest, does it get quite large over a certain time span? Is the event time and index time showing latency? If you run a search like this, what is the latency like?

index=index_of_relevant_forwarder_data | eval time=_time | eval itime=_indextime | eval latency=(itime - time) | stats count, avg(latency), min(latency), max(latency) by source

There are just quite a number of variables here.

Jacob
Sr. Technical Support Engineer
0 Karma

chintan_shah
Path Finder

Hi @jcrabb:

Have you looked at the logs on the forwarder? Do you see an issue that stands out? Examples:

Problems connecting to Indexer
-> I got multiple time out i.e.
03-15-2017 03:54:51.117 -0400 INFO TcpOutputProc - Ping connection to idx=destinationip:port timed out. continuing connections
Do you know how can i resolve this?

Blocked queues (search metrics.log for "block")
-> I didnt receive any events with block in metrics.

Errors like this: INFO TailReader - File descriptor cache is full (100), trimming...
-> i didnt receive any events with the above field.

How big is the log you are trying to ingest, does it get quite large over a certain time span? Is the event time and index time showing latency? If you run a search like this, what is the latency like?

index=index_of_relevant_forwarder_data | eval time=_time | eval itime=_indextime | eval latency=(itime - time) | stats count, avg(latency), min(latency), max(latency) by source
-> I am continuously monitoring the log files which are roll over every day and the logs are really huge.
i used the above query which was really helpful and for a particular source the Max Latency was 9814 which is 2 hours and 43 minute delay.
Can we reduce this latency?

There are just quite a number of variables here.

0 Karma

jcrabb_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

One thing I would suggest, if you are trying to ingest/forward a lot of data, is to configure the following in limits.conf:

## limits.conf ##

[thruput]
maxKBps = 0

Spec File: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/Limitsconf#.5Bthruput.5D

maxKBps = <integer>
* If specified and not zero, this limits the speed through the thruput processor 
  in the ingestion pipeline to the specified rate in kilobytes per second.
* To control the CPU load while indexing, use this to throttle the number of
  events this indexer processes to the rate (in KBps) you specify.
* Note that this limit will be applied per ingestion pipeline. For more information 
  about multiple ingestion pipelines see parallelIngestionPipelines in the
  server.conf.spec file.
* With N parallel ingestion pipelines the thruput limit across all of the ingestion 
  pipelines will be N * maxKBps.

On a Forwarder, this is configured to the default of 256. This change often elevates the problem you are reporting.

Jacob
0 Karma

chintan_shah
Path Finder

So i have currently have 512 in maxKBps, so are you suggesting to keep it to 256 or 0?

0 Karma

jcrabb_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I am recommending that it be set to 0:

[thruput]
maxKBps = 0

Jacob
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...