Getting Data In

Masking account numbers

KarlGechlik
Explorer

Hello we are trying to mask an account#'s last 5 digits. I have added this to props.conf

[annon]
TRANSFORMS-anonymize = hideacct-number

and this to transforms.conf

[hideacct-number]
REGEX=(.*AcctCode=\d{5}-).*
FORMAT=$1xxxxx

I stopped splunk and cleaned the index and then started it again and the account numbers are still there completely. What are we missing?

Update: I am using 4.2.3 and I am trying to mask the last 5 characters with X's. I am trying JSapienza's answer now and will keep you posted. Thanks!

Update2: That did not help. It does not change my data. I tried REPORT as well with the same results.

0 Karma
1 Solution

KarlGechlik
Explorer

Turns out it was a combination of JSapienza's answer and removing my header in props.conf:

props.conf:

EXTRACT- = .TraderID:(?.)

TRANSFORMS = hideacct-number

transforms.conf:

[hideacct-number]
DEST_KEY =_raw
REGEX=(.AcctCode=\d{5}-).
FORMAT=$1xxxxx

and apparently the DEST_KEY =_raw needs to be at the top of transforms.conf

View solution in original post

0 Karma

MicroAlpha
Explorer

Another way, albeit external and not free, is with a third-party masking tool for the data sources you would index into Splunk. I found this:

http://www.iri.com/blog/data-protection/secure-then-splunk-a-format-preserving-encryption-and-pseduo...

0 Karma

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Another, perhaps simpler, way of accomplishing this is by using SEDCMD. See http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/Anonymizedatawithsed

KarlGechlik
Explorer

Turns out it was a combination of JSapienza's answer and removing my header in props.conf:

props.conf:

EXTRACT- = .TraderID:(?.)

TRANSFORMS = hideacct-number

transforms.conf:

[hideacct-number]
DEST_KEY =_raw
REGEX=(.AcctCode=\d{5}-).
FORMAT=$1xxxxx

and apparently the DEST_KEY =_raw needs to be at the top of transforms.conf

0 Karma

gekoner
Communicator

Karl,
Can you provide some additional information? It is always helpful to understand what version you are running.

Also can explain in a little more detail what you are trying to do? Are you attempting to take an account number that is in the format ##### to replace the "numbers" with "xxxxx"?

0 Karma

JSapienza
Contributor

If I'm not mistaken, I think you need to set the DEST_KEY = _raw so the indexer knows to mask at index time from the raw event.

0 Karma

KarlGechlik
Explorer

This did not help. I added this to transforms.conf and it still does not modify the data in the field at all.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...