Getting Data In

JSON is being cut off at "created" key

helius
Path Finder

I've got a pretty strange issue, and I'm sure there is a simple answer for it. Here is my env:

1. 7.1.2
  2. All default configs, but the inputs.conf which contains

[monitor:///Users/MYUSER/splunk_messages]
index = test
sourcetype = json

When I update the splunk_messages file with the following JSON, it's cutting it off right before "created":

{
"Data": {
"id": "-LGDT2S8qYVIJvqoLJwC",
"created": "2018-06-30T02:14:18Z",
"expires": "2018-07-01T02:14:18Z",
"status": "WAITING",
"completed": 0,
"reason": "NONE"
}
}

The result is alt text
There are no other events after or before this event. It's not like it's splitting the event.

I then remove "created" key and value and the full JSON event shows:

alt text

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I've been looking through the default conf files and can't find anything to cause this. Maybe it's a default behavior of splunk and I'm not seeing it in the docs.

Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

helius
Path Finder

Finally figured this out.

The entire log wasn't just JSON. It was a mix of text and JSON ON DIFFERENT LINES:

2018-07-25 00:00:04,169 DEBUG [1532476571629] [49] Coral job status response: {
    "id": "-LIDiA9URgCSYRGHoIPj",
    "created": "2018-07-24T23:56:08Z",
    "expires": "2018-07-25T23:56:08Z",
    "status": "PROCESSING",
    "completed": 1,
  }
}

The suggestions by YoungDaniel was helpful, but it was only working if it was pure JSON all on one line.
I had a suspicion that MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD was the real culprit here. Setting MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 1 seems to be working!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

helius
Path Finder

Finally figured this out.

The entire log wasn't just JSON. It was a mix of text and JSON ON DIFFERENT LINES:

2018-07-25 00:00:04,169 DEBUG [1532476571629] [49] Coral job status response: {
    "id": "-LIDiA9URgCSYRGHoIPj",
    "created": "2018-07-24T23:56:08Z",
    "expires": "2018-07-25T23:56:08Z",
    "status": "PROCESSING",
    "completed": 1,
  }
}

The suggestions by YoungDaniel was helpful, but it was only working if it was pure JSON all on one line.
I had a suspicion that MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD was the real culprit here. Setting MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 1 seems to be working!

0 Karma

poete
Builder

Hello @helius,

Just guessing here, but it probably comes from the fact that the timestamp recognition of the event changes if you remove the line containing created, according to your screenshots.

In case your set of json events share the 'created' key, please try to set the TIME_PREFIX of the sourcetype.

I hope this helps

0 Karma

helius
Path Finder

Tried that and also MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 0. No difference after a restart.

0 Karma

YoungDaniel
Path Finder

Hi, to make sure it is not a timestamp parsing issue, you can add the

DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT

to the props.conf. That will set the timestamp to the indexed time. If the events are still breaking I would look at the sourcetype configuration. You can also try to set the TIME_PREFIX = "created :" to set the timestamp field.

It might be a good idea to add the
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = json

to the props.conf make sure the Json is parsed correctly.

If all fails. I usually take a sample of the json logs and use the data import in the gui to make sure that the data is being parsed correctly. It will give you instant feedback and you have the possibility to set the props specs.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...