Getting Data In

Issues with applying blacklists on a light fowarder

Pierceyuk
Path Finder

So I have a syslog-ng running and splunk running picking up everything under /var/log/syslog-ng/general/

My regex skills are almost non existent.
If there are a few hosts that I want to exclude (../general/-/-.log [a bad host] and ../general/1.1.1.1/1.1.1.1.log [a random IP Host I don't need] ) Am I best learning and coding some fancy regex code for this

blacklist=(/-/-)|(/--/--)|(/var/log/syslog-ng/general/1.1.1.1/1.1.1.1.log)

Which I know does not work and is not even close due to the dots meaning something else.
Can I code a monitor statement like:

[monitor:///var/log/syslog-ng/general/1.1.1.1/1.1.1.1.log]
blacklist=.

Or is there an even easier/fool proof method I can use when some of the hosts are junk and need to be stopped? (apart from obviously getting the end user to stop sending me junk...)

0 Karma

rakesh_498115
Motivator

Wat do you mean by stopping few hosts . you mean stopping Stopping syslog data from some unknown hosts ?? you can do that pretty well using transforms.conf configuration i.e applying filtering on the hostips

0 Karma

Pierceyuk
Path Finder

So I have 200+ hosts sending syslog to this box. Most is nicely formated and wanted. Some of it is junk data (hostname ="-") and some of it is pointless (host 1.1.1.1 sends a million events an hour all the same) I just want to do some quick filtering to say 'ignore this list of folders'

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...