Getting Data In

Is there an ssh connection to the Splunk Cloud server, or does only Splunk support have it?

vad34
Path Finder

Hello,

Is there an ssh connection to Splunk Cloud server or does only Splunk support have it?
Tnx

0 Karma

khourihan_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk Cloud runs Splunk as a service, so you don't get access to the CLI. If you want that level of access consider running Splunk yourself either on-prem on in the cloud. There is a Splunk AMI in the Amazon marketplace you can use.

In Splunk Cloud, if you need to do something from the CLI (i.e change a setting in a .conf) you would file a support ticket as a change request and it would be processed.

If you use Splunk Cloud, you will get essentially enhanced power user level access on the GUI but no ssh access.

Features that could impact the service have been grayed out. But you can do some admin stuff as that user, like edit props.conf (via Sourcetypes in the GUI) and create other users.

Check out the Splunk Cloud release notes for more info: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/latest/RelNotes/NewSplunkCloudFeatures

vad34
Path Finder

Thanks....

0 Karma

pgreer_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Shell access is not available (to external consumers of Splunk in the cloud). More and more actions that require shell access in core Splunk will be provided through the GUI over time. What is it specifically that you are attempting to accomplish?

Thanks,
Philip

vad34
Path Finder

I thought to get ssh access in order to administer the splunk server.
So I will get gui access for administration tasks?

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

As khourihan mentions, you wont get access to the SSH. Most of the admin functionality you can perform from the current GUI of cloud, anything outside of that you need to contact support and open a request for them to do it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...