Getting Data In

Indexing volume problems

Explorer

Hi!

Since upgrading to v.4.2 we have been having problems with going over our daily indexing volume limits. I have tried following the guidance here to try and identify the cause, but am having problems even seeing the Indexing Volume dashboard. When I browse to Status > Index activity > Indexing volume I get the following error,

This EntityLister module could not retrieve its results. A 500 error was returned with the following text "Internal Server Error".

Our trial license has expired and we're currently using the free license. We are planning a purchase, but without being able to resolve this problem we are unable to make a decision on the appropriate license needed.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks, Jonathan

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This is a bug. Splunk is tracking this as SPL-38603, and it is scheduled to be fixed in 4.2.2.

For the interim, you can use the information here to troubleshoot voume issues:

http://www.splunk.com/wiki/Community:TroubleshootingIndexedDataVolume

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This is a bug. Splunk is tracking this as SPL-38603, and it is scheduled to be fixed in 4.2.2.

For the interim, you can use the information here to troubleshoot voume issues:

http://www.splunk.com/wiki/Community:TroubleshootingIndexedDataVolume

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Communicator

This seems like it could be a bug. Anything in the splunk logs?

0 Karma

Explorer

I've now installed a Linux instance and have reproduced the problem, so I'm pretty sure it's a bug.
Under the trial license the Indexing volume report runs fine, however when switching to the free license and attempting to run the report it fails with the internal server error message. This happens on both Windows and Linux installations.

0 Karma

Communicator

Did not realize you were running this on Windows. Sorry as that is not my area of expertise. Hopefully someone else will chime in shortly. In the meantime I would review all the log files in the Splunk log directory $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/

0 Karma

Explorer

Thanks. Which logs I should look in? splunkd.log has the following errors,

ApplicationUpdater - Error checking for update via https://splunkbase.splunk.com/api/apps:resolve/checkforupgrade: Connect timed out.

ExecProcessor - message from ""C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin\splunk-regmon.exe" --driver-path "C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin"" splunk-regmon - No enabled entries were found in the conf files.

ExecProcessor - message from ""C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin\splunk-regmon.exe" --driver-path "C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin"" Using logging configuration at C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\log-cmdline.cfg.

0 Karma
State of Splunk Careers

Access the Splunk Careers Report to see real data that shows how Splunk mastery increases your value and job satisfaction.

Find out what your skills are worth!