Getting Data In

Indexing question on a heavy forwarder

marvatwork
Explorer

I have a main indexer in one location (production) that gets inputs from all the systems located in that production location. I have a heavy-forwarder at another location (development) that gets inputs from all the systems at this second location. If I want to keep a local copy of the index at the developement site before forwarding it to the main indexer, do I need another license?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

They can share the license. Set the development HF to be a license slave to the production Indexer. On the HF go to Manager -> Licensing (for Splunk 5.x). Click 'Change to slave'. Configure as needed. Don't know if there's a difference in 6.x.

Then set up the development HF to forward its events as well as store them locally. Manager -> Forwarding & Receiving. Change to relevant settings in Forwarding Defaults and in Configure Forwarding. Again this is for 5.x - 6.x might be exactly the same.

/K

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

They can share the license. Set the development HF to be a license slave to the production Indexer. On the HF go to Manager -> Licensing (for Splunk 5.x). Click 'Change to slave'. Configure as needed. Don't know if there's a difference in 6.x.

Then set up the development HF to forward its events as well as store them locally. Manager -> Forwarding & Receiving. Change to relevant settings in Forwarding Defaults and in Configure Forwarding. Again this is for 5.x - 6.x might be exactly the same.

/K

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

No because it is not indexed twice. It is indexed once and then transferred.

0 Karma

marvatwork
Explorer

That seems to work. My next question, is do I get hit twice for the data coming from the development site. For indexing it twice?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...