Getting Data In

Indexes appear in usage report but not in indexes.conf or on indexer

sidekix24
Path Finder

I just inherited a stand alone splunk instance and when I run the usage report by indexes, I see a couple of indexes that are ingesting data on a daily basis but I don't see those indexes in the indexes.conf or an folders for those indexes on the indexer.

Has anyone seen this before?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

If it is a stand alone splunk,
navigate to settings -> indexes and and check the apps under App column.
there is a good posibilty there are different apps that has different indexes.conf
the TA for Windows for example has 3 indexes shipped with it: windows wineventlogs and perfmon
Or use this to search the rest endpoint and discover via search bar:

| rest /services/data/indexes 
| table title eai:acl.app 

hope it helps and you find your indexes

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

Chances are pretty good they are summary indexes and/or related to data model acceleration or report acceleration. The data will be stored in stash files, unless the collect command specifies a new sourcetype. Not sure whether license usage reports show the indexes that are using stash - it's not billable, but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't on the report.

Check the section on this page about "Example of a summary index configuration" to see what to look for in savedsearches.conf ...

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.0/Knowledge/Configuresummaryindexes

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...