Getting Data In

Indexer error message: " Truncating line because limit of 10000 bytes has been exceeded"

pfabrizi
Path Finder

I made some changes to some properties files on my deployment server:
etc/system/local/serverclass.conf - added a new client
deployed. Seem to still work
then I added a blacklist
etc/apps/deployment-apps/splunk_ta_windows - added a blacklist

deployed, it and things seemd to stop working. Everything, couldn't search for current day
I had a space issue on my forwarder, which I resolved.

I see this error on my indexer now:

Truncating line because limit of 10000 bytes has been exceeded with a line length >= 11576 - data_source="/trvapps/splunk/var/log/splunk/remote_searches.log", data_host="tospkiu1", data_sourcetype="splunkd_remote_searches"

0 Karma

Grumpalot
Communicator

@pfabrizi the default setting for [splunkd_remote_searches] is 10000. You can increase this number via props.conf like the below stanza. In this example you would set the Truncate to 99999.

[splunkd_remote_searches]
TRUNCATE = 99999
0 Karma

pfabrizi
Path Finder

The issue was my fault. I had made a backup copy of the original serverclass.conf, when I copied it back to restore it had root:root and splunk couldn't open the file. I fixed that and restarted the deployment server.

I get this error on my searchhead when starting it:
could not create path /oaisys_z843_splunk_file1/firedalerts/db appearing in indexes.conf: 13

I don't have the volume on my search head, just indexers ( san storage).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...