Getting Data In

Index shows massive Index amounts although zero events ingested

Software-Simian
Path Finder

Hello,

we are forwarding Logs from a host via universal forwarder. As the universal forwarder is not able to filter events(logs we went for adjusting tarnsforms.conf and props.conf

After editing those files we indeed only ingested the expected and desired logs according to the RegEx in transforms. However the indexed volume stayed the same.

So i tried to send all events to the nullqueue and check the indexed volume again. For some reason even with zero events the query for indexed volume still is very high.

Here the snippets from the relevent files and queries:

1. search query for getting indexed volume:

index="_internal" source="*metrics.log" per_index_thruput series=<my index>
| eval GB=kb/(1024*1024)
| timechart span=2min partial=f sum(GB) by series

2. rather boring one => the search to check on event count

index=<my index>
| stats count

3. stanza in transforms.conf (to kill all events for testing)

[<my transformation>]
REGEX = .
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

4. stanza in props.conf for sourcetype

[<my sourcetype>]
TRANSFORMS-setnull = <my transformation>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also tried with TRANSFORMS-set...no idea what the difference between the two is, but that doesn't work as well.

So the nullqueue is working as i have no events in the index, however the query for indexing volume is off the charts.

Any help would be apriciated.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check which machine is logging those metrics.log entries: UFs can generate per_index_thruput as well, which would be the volume prior to filtering.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check which machine is logging those metrics.log entries: UFs can generate per_index_thruput as well, which would be the volume prior to filtering.

hsesterhenn_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The only relevant number for "paying license usage" is "RolloverSummary" which is calculated once a day and written to "license_usage.log" and "license_usage_summary.log" by the License Manager. 

0 Karma

Software-Simian
Path Finder

Hi Martin,

you are dead on! All the forwarders were listed under hosts in the Query for the throughput.

When i only searched for splunk host the graph made much more sense.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...