Getting Data In

Index Data Retention

spl_unker
Explorer

Splunk Query to check what is the Data retention set for hot/warm , cold for each index

0 Karma
1 Solution

nickhills
Ultra Champion

The only duration Splunk uses for data management is the frozen period - ie how long does data remain searchable in Splunk before it is archived or deleted.

The amount of "time" data stays in hot/warm is based on either size, or the number of buckets (not duration)

See the following for info on how to query for frozen durations:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/476377/how-to-search-and-table-the-retention-time-of-each.html

The best place to check for your index settings is your index definitions.
- on a stand alone indexer, check the indexes.conf on the indexer (you may have to look in multiple apps) $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/appname/[local|default]/indexes.conf
- on an indexer cluster, check the indexes.confs on the cluster master in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps/[_cluster|yourapp]/[default|local]/indexes.conf

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

The only duration Splunk uses for data management is the frozen period - ie how long does data remain searchable in Splunk before it is archived or deleted.

The amount of "time" data stays in hot/warm is based on either size, or the number of buckets (not duration)

See the following for info on how to query for frozen durations:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/476377/how-to-search-and-table-the-retention-time-of-each.html

The best place to check for your index settings is your index definitions.
- on a stand alone indexer, check the indexes.conf on the indexer (you may have to look in multiple apps) $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/appname/[local|default]/indexes.conf
- on an indexer cluster, check the indexes.confs on the cluster master in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps/[_cluster|yourapp]/[default|local]/indexes.conf

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

If my answer helped, please consider accepting and/or upvoting so that other memebers of the community can see it was useful.

0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

Accepted it on the poster's behalf. Cheers!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...