Getting Data In

Import OLD event logs from backup drive

berniefieldhous
Engager

Hi...

I'm trying to import 'thousands' of old event logs into Splunk to setup a searchable database....

I can enter them in one at a time using the "Data Input > Files & Directories > upload a file" but this would take forever....

Is there any other way to feed in all this data into splunk ????

Cheers Bernie

Tags (1)

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Depending what you're doing, it may not be a bad idea to script it with the splunk add oneshot commmand. The command is inexplicably barely documented in the official docs, but several examples exist on answers.splunk.com.

Genti
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

in other words, do not use one time uploading but use monitoring stanzas. More info here: http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/4.1.5/admin/MonitorFilesAndDirectories

0 Karma

Genti
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Where are these thousands of events located. It seems like they are in a drive, can you not include the main directory where these logs are instead of doing it one by one? i.e. instead of doing
[monitor:///backup/logs/a.log] do [monitor:///backup/logs/] or better yet, [monitor:///backup/]

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...