Getting Data In

How to use K-anonymity with Splunk?

MarcHelou

Hello,
Let's say i have a csv file that contains sensitive data, I want on index to group multiple lines as one event in a way that it doesnt compromise my data. So let's say:
User - Age
U1 - 12
U2 - 13
U3 - 17
U4 - 15
U5 - 20
How can I group for example each 2 users as one event as so(of course before indexing and not on search time):
U1,U2 - 12,13
U3,U4 - 17-15
Thanks in advance

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

I don't understand the reason for your business case, but here is what I would do to achieve your stated objective. Instead of running it through a standard indexing, I would bring it in, aggregate it, and then collect the aggregated data into a summary index.

| inputcsv mystuff.csv 

| rename COMMENT as "Assign every pair of records to a group, then stats the group together " 
   | streamstats count as recno
   | eval groupno = floor( ( 1+ recno ) / 2 )
   | stats list(User) as User list(Age) as Age by groupno

| rename COMMENT as "Set time, Get rid of unneeded fields, then copy them to the new index."
   | eval _time = now() 
   | table _time User Age 
   | collect .... send to desired index... 

If you want to break the link of order between each User and his Age, then do this to sort the fields after the stats command. This will break the relationship between any individual Age and its User.

| eval User=mvsort(User)
   | eval Age=mvsort(Age) 

If you want to change the number of records in each group to some number K, change line 5 to use your new K-1 and K as follows:

| eval groupno = floor( ( K-1 + recno ) / K )

Updated to remove suggestion to use values, since that would delete duplicates.

There is also an issue with this anonymization method if using K=2 or k=3 and all of the Users have the same Age. Sigh.

| inputcsv mystuff.csv 

| rename COMMENT as "make sure that no two of the same Age are sequential." 
   | streamstats count as ageno by Age
   | eventstats count as totalcount 
   | eventstats max(ageno) as agecount by Age
   | eval myorder=round((ageno-0.5)/agecount,2)
   | sort 0 myorder User

| rename COMMENT as "Assign every pair of records to a group, then stats the group together " 
   | streamstats count as recno
   | eval groupno = floor( ( 1+ recno ) / 2 )

| rename COMMENT as "Set time, Get rid of unneeded fields, then copy them to the new index."
   | eval _time = now() 
   | table _time User Age 
   | collect .... send to desired index... 

To work, the above depends on no one Age predominating in the data set.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...