Getting Data In

How to split event to two indexes?

klim
Path Finder

I would like to know if it is possible to be able to inject an event to a heavy forwarder via the hec and then have it be split into two events and sent to different indexes.

For example I have the original log line of:

ID=1 time=”2022-12-29 16:57:41 UTC” name=”person” address=”abc” message=”some note”.

I want the event to be split but the two new events can share similar fields.

So index1 would be:  

ID=1 time=”2022-12-29 16:57:41 UTC” name=”person” address=”abc”

And index2 would be:

ID=1 time=”2022-12-29 16:57:41 UTC” message=”some note”

Labels (3)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I believe it can be done.  Use the CLONE_SOURCETYPE setting in transforms.conf to create a copy of the event and give it a new sourcetype.   Then each sourcetype should be able to use REGEX and FORMAT settings to select the fields they want.

You'd think that the new Ingest Actions feature would be perfect for this, but it does not offer the type of changes you want to make.

This would be easier using Cribl (http://cribl.io).

Either way, duplicating the events means doubling your ingest, with corresponding effects on your license and storage.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

klim
Path Finder

thanks. doubling my ingest doesn't sound like a great idea. It would be cheaper to send two requests.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...